Any Suggestions On Red Amber Ales Commercial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure can, got a whole box of it from village cellars in Adelaide once for 50 bucks, unreal beer at a unreal price.
6 packs here are 10 kiwi bucks!

I agree, top beer. And the bottles are awesome - "cross between a hand grenade and a marital aid"!

Red Emporer wasn't nearly as good as good as the Razorback.

Also a nice amber-ish ale was the Pepperjack Ale. Very toasty and warm, just lacks a bit of body for me. VERY nice nose.

I second this. I tried the Razorback for the first time last night and it was a fantastic drop. Tried the Red Emperor a couple of weeks ago, and found it to be a bit too bitter for my tastes. Love the Pepperjack Ale too. Rooftop Red and Monteiths Celtic Red is also worth seeking out.

Cheers,
Kris.

UPDATE:
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I was able to hunt down the following (Dan's, 1st C's and the wine emporium) for sampling this evening:

James Squire Amber Ale - Easy to find like a $2 hooker. Like this beer alot.

Snowy Mountains Brewery's Razorback Red Ale - No luck finding it!

Matilda Bay Rooftop Lager - Nice drop but wasn't impressed with mouth feel seemed watery but I have spent the day tasting a very wide variety of beers.

San Marino Queen Red Double Malt Ale - Wow! Blew me away great beer.

If you want to try a Red Ale style beer thats not really a Red Ale, but I reckon has a fair slug of CaraRed or CaraAmber in it, try San Marino Queen
Cheers for the tip mate,really enjoyed it. :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the input guys. Now to hunt down a Red ale recipe.

I have not read the article but have trouble believing they use carared or any weyermann malts in any beer, do you mean caramalt?

Nope. The article definately says Carared if memory serves. Was as surprised as you probably are when I read it, so it stuck in my mind. I would have figured the Coopers guys would be brewing with Joe White all the way and keeping it simple. The quanity of Carared is very small mind you. I'll post back the recipe here when I dig it out from home.

Hopper.

I have not read the article but have trouble believing they use carared or any weyermann malts in any beer, do you mean caramalt?

Should clarify - didn't say the Coopers Sparkling commercial beer definately has CaraRed (it might) but the clone recipe of Cooper's Sparkling Ale on page 46 of Brew Your Own Magazine (April/May edition 2009) lists the grain as: 3.5 kg Joe White Pilsener, 300g Joe White Wheat Malt, and 200g Weyermann CaraRed. Possibly to add colour to the drop. Was surprised by the inclusion but its there alright.

Cheers,

Hopper.

Another beer for you to try Chappo is Murphy's Irish Red. Much better than Killkenny (still a nice wee drop).

Edit: unwanted HTML code.

Back