Any Suggestions On Red Amber Ales Commercial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
All this chatter and clatter today on Carared, Choc Malts, Red ales, Red lagers etc got me curious as I have never tried one. Once every fortnight or so I try to get a little selection of commercial beers, mixed sixy, to sample a style. So I thought this week could be a good week for Reds as in beer not wine.

Being completely ignorant can anyone suggest a must try tipple in the red vein of things?

All this chatter and clatter today on Carared, Choc Malts, Red ales, Red lagers etc got me curious as I have never tried one. Once every fortnight or so I try to get a little selection of commercial beers, mixed sixy, to sample a style. So I thought this week could be a good week for Reds as in beer not wine.

Being completely ignorant can anyone suggest a must try tipple in the red vein of things?

James Squire Amber Ale is worth a try. A touch sweet for my tastes (could do with a bit more dryness in there imo), but not a bad drop. Demolished a case of it one brewday with Muckey. :lol:

Chappo, I reckon you can't go past the Snowy Mountains Brewery's Razorback Red Ale as a good example of the style. There's a good article on red ales in the latest Beer and Brewer magazine, too.

Cheers - Snow.

Rooftop. Big malty taste - haven't had one in ages though but when I sampled it at a beer expo yonks ago it was a standout from everything else because it was so different.

Not really a red beer, but Coopers Sparkling Ale uses a bit of carared malt according to a recent issue of Brew Your Own magazine.

Hopper.

Rooftop. Big malty taste - haven't had one in ages though but when I sampled it at a beer expo yonks ago it was a standout from everything else because it was so different.

Not really a red beer, but Coopers Sparkling Ale uses a bit of carared malt according to a recent issue of Brew Your Own magazine.

Hopper.

I have not read the article but have trouble believing they use carared or any weyermann malts in any beer, do you mean caramalt?

Anyway agree, thought of roof top by matilda bay myself when I read the post.

Chappo, I reckon you can't go past the Snowy Mountains Brewery's Razorback Red Ale as a good example of the style. Cheers - Snow.

I second this. Razorback Red Ale is good.

Ok so far my "headache inducing" session will include:

James Squire Amber Ale

Snowy Mountains Brewery's Razorback Red Ale

Matilda Bay Rooftop Lager

Need to make a 6 pack so any more suggestions?

James Squire Amber Ale

You will struggle to get rooftop red. MB have stopped brewing it. Real shame as it was one of their best. Its a great Vienna Lager. Samuel Adams Boston lager is similar, as is Brooklyn Lager (well kind of)

Not many readily available out there. I'm looking to brew the Jamil west coast blaster for US example, and an Irish red.

James Squire Amber Ale

Chappo you could try Fish Rock Brewery Red Emperor Amber Ale if you can get it.

You will struggle to get rooftop red. MB have stopped brewing it. Real shame as it was one of their best. Its a great Vienna Lager. Samuel Adams Boston lager is similar, as is Brooklyn Lager (well kind of)

Not many readily available out there. I'm looking to brew the Jamil west coast blaster for US example, and an Irish red.

Now an Irish red is definitely what I am interested in. It really does bite that Australia is so beer palate poor when it comes to imported beers or for that matter different varieties/styles.

If you want to try a Red Ale style beer thats not really a Red Ale, but I reckon has a fair slug of CaraRed or CaraAmber in it, try San Marino Queen

Red Emporer wasn't nearly as good as good as the Razorback.

Also a nice amber-ish ale was the Pepperjack Ale. Very toasty and warm, just lacks a bit of body for me. VERY nice nose.

Now an Irish red is definitely what I am interested in. It really does bite that Australia is so beer palate poor when it comes to imported beers or for that matter different varieties/styles.

well you could have a kilkenny!!!! ;)

Red Emporer wasn't nearly as good as good as the Razorback.

Also a nice amber-ish ale was the Pepperjack Ale. Very toasty and warm, just lacks a bit of body for me. VERY nice nose.

I tried that few months ago and I didn't mind it ;)

well you could have a kilkenny!!!!

Loved a kenny but haven't had one in years might have revisit that one.

Cheers folks for the input!

How about Mac's Sassy Red?

The likes of Kilkenny and Caffreys, your Irish reds, tend to be towards the malty and red-hued end of the scale, bit more traditional really.

Mention of Razorback and Sassy red, whilst have the colour, tend to lean towards the American pale/amber ale side of town. Both lovely beers, but particularly hoppy.

Personally, i'd try everything mentioned above just for a good contrast on the definition of Red ale.

Drinking a sassy red right now and really enjoying it!

Never seen Mac's beer in Australia though - can you get them?

Sure can, got a whole box of it from village cellars in Adelaide once for 50 bucks, unreal beer at a unreal price.

Back