Any opinions on this seller/setup?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good setup all things considered. No reason you couldn't make really good beer with it. It is however a bit more costly than it needs to be if you want to get good results and save money.
  • There's no pump so it won't recirculate. This makes the temp controller not all that useful. You could use a thermometer to get your strike temp easily enough and save yourself $100 there. But if you have a spare fridge but no fridge controller, this would be very handy for fermentation control if you don't want to faff about with an STC-1000 setup.
  • Site sponsors sell the urn for around $300 incl. postage.
  • Chiller's not completely necessary (look up no-chill)
It will definitely make great beer if you get your process under control. For mine, I think you're better off without the controller and chiller and deciding whether you want them later.
Or, if you're not skimping, dive in.

Looks nice and shiny!

I run an almost identical setup. The crown urn i got 2nd hand for $200. By default the urn comes with a coffee tap on it - it's nice to see the ebay listing has upgraded to ball valve. I don't have the false bottom, but I don't heat while the grain is in anyway.

I built a STC1000 thermostat - functionally looks the same to the ebay listing. Probably cost me $70 to build. I do use it in the mash - but only as a thermometer! i.e. I don't typically have any heating occurring during the mash. But the temperature controller is most useful for fermentation fridge, or a keezer. Just not actively used by most in a BIAB.

I built a similar chiller for $60 of copper and $6 of hose. I use it every time though many people do the no chill thing.

My bag I made from a big sheet of swiss voile from spotlight ($10?)

I don't have a thermowell but have considered adding one. (I find temperature measurement very tricky and thought it might help).

I don't have a nice shiny spoon, but I want one.

Agree with Wiggman, nice setup but not exactly cheap. With regards to the seller, I have brought various brewing odds and ends from them before and never had a problem.

I priced most of the components separately and come under $400 (exchanged a cube for the chiller and minus the spoon).

Its a bit of a steep price to pay for someone to source all of the gear.

buy an urn, bag and a cube....

You can always add other bits later....

There have been a few used 40L urns for sale recently on AHB.

Heat water to strike temp, turn off urn, add bag, mash in, wrap with sleeping bag for 60mins, remove bag to another pot with some 75oC sparge water, start the boil, add sparge water, do boil and hops, after boil put in cube, DONE!

Bobs your aunties live in lover.....

I have bought from seller, no problems....

Beercus

mosto said:
With regards to the seller, I have brought various brewing odds and ends from them before and never had a problem.
Me too. All goods arrive as advertised and fairly quickly.

Seller is local to Geelong, well, local enough that many of us drive out there(Wallington) and has a good reputation locally.

Thanks everyone for your input :)
Yet to put in my tax return so will see which way ill go. Probably get things separately, I thought the thermowell would be fantastice but makes sense it wouldnt work without recirculation. Also I know no chill is popular. Although I like to chill personally :)
Also drew. Where abouts did you get your copper? Big green building?

Have bought from this seller multiple times, if there's something in the set you don't need, contact him & he'll probably offer to chop & change.

Seemed extremely flexible if a little expensive, but very easy to deal with.

Back