Any Dreamweaver Experts ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
I have Dreamweaver 8.0 and before i start designing a site I have in mind, need a bit of advice. What is the function called that allows you to set up a single template in which all the remaining pages can refer to - essential for when you want to update the site, links, navigation bars etc, you only then need to change the template, and the nominated fields will 'change' or cross in the pages across the site.

No idea what its called, so I'm a bit lost as far as google searching is concerned.

Although I'm not entirely sure how to do what you're looking for in DW (I have it, I just don't like it), I'd recommend using cascading style sheets (CSS) for your menus. You set up a file with your menu details just once, formatting and all, then all the pages refer to it. A good resource is http://www.w3schools.com/css/ . You can also include most of the 'standard' information that will appear on all your pages (including the general formatting/fonts/colour scheme) with include files and server-side include (SSI) commands (alternatively, PHP, if it's installed). That way, when you change something, you only need to change it in one place.

You end up with something like

<!--#include virtual="template_top.shtml" -->
WHATEVER YOU WANT TO HAVE ON THE PAGE
<!--#include virtual="template_bottom.shtml" -->

where template_top.shtml contains all your head, title, CSS, etc... details, and template_bottom contains all your footer, etc details. Any time you create a new page, you add these two lines and everything gets filled in. Have a look around - there are some free pre-built templates you can download.

Well, that's my preferred method. Then again, I write webpages in emacs.

HTH :beer:

+1 on what QB said re: CSS

CSS is way better then DW templates.. DW tends to leave messy code too that is not W3 standards.

I cant recall too many functions of Dreamweaver, although I did use it at about Version 4 to do the Wifes Business website.

Try this google search - LINKY
OR
THIS ONE seems to cover making DW templates
HTH

Cheers

Sully

... not W3 standards.
I will add the caveat that M$ internet explorer (at least up to and perhaps including 7) doesn't seem to give a rat's proverbial about standards, particularly CSS. There's just some stuff that won't work how you want it to in IE. It will in Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc... but to make stuff work in IE as well you'll need to use the tags

<!--[if IE]>
Do this in Internet Explorer
<![endif]-->

Cross-platform consistency sucks. The last minisite I built for work was a PITA - I swear the person I was taking orders from wanted it compatible with stone and chisel... I mean, who still uses Netscape Navigator 3 FFS??? NOTHING works for NN3. I managed to get the site to look identical in IE5-7, FF2-3, Opera, and Safari, but she still wanted it to look the same in NN3. <_<

/rant

I will add the caveat that M$ internet explorer (at least up to and perhaps including 7) doesn't seem to give a rat's proverbial about standards, particularly CSS. There's just some stuff that won't work how you want it to in IE. It will in Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc... but to make stuff work in IE as well you'll need to use the tags

Cross-platform consistency sucks. The last minisite I built for work was a PITA - I swear the person I was taking orders from wanted it compatible with stone and chisel... I mean, who still uses Netscape Navigator 3 FFS??? NOTHING works for NN3. I managed to get the site to look identical in IE5-7, FF2-3, Opera, and Safari, but she still wanted it to look the same in NN3. <_<

/rant

Ahh, dont forget Tables... now that is some fun trying to get x-browser compatable...

Hm, and here I spent hours sorting out how to use the template feature in DW last night. (successfully I might add). Oh well, sounds like I should put the thinking cap back on and work out the 'other method'. This is going to be a challenge !

I can appreciate some of the advantages - for starters it's easier to change one file, then have all the pages refer to the new code, rather than change the template, update each page, then have to re-upload every page to the host.

Anyway cheers for the feedback, better fo me to work out the best methodology before the site rolls out.

I was just surprised to hear they are up to version 8. I guess my version 3 is real old. Can you tell I do not use it?

Latest posts

Back