Anti-no-chill Tips For Bribane Water Resticted Ag Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I started using 'that' method, I would put the lid on my boiler and lift it into a conveniently-placed water feature (like a swimming pool, but only about 500litres) which was usually about a quarter full and had about 30kg ice put into it. With the water restrictions, I let it dry out, but it worked really well...

Perhaps cultivating friends with nearby pools is the answer. You do have to be able to manufacture a fair bit of ice, though...

one I get my water tank the cooling water is going to go straight back into the tank.

one I get my water tank the cooling water is going to go straight back into the tank.

I get 25L down to about 40C in 10min doing that - I have a pump with a good flow rate. Makes is safe to handle from here

Bit of cold water still helps, especially in hot weather when the ambient is working against you. I still swich to a fish pump with cold water at about 30C to get down pitching temp.

I have got an immersion chiller and also a plate chiller i put the immersion chiller in to the fridge some days

before hand and use a mash master temp controller to get the fridge in to the minus deg which gives me a 20

to 25 ltr solid block of ice with the immersion chiller stuck solid and them use this as a pre-chiller for the block

chiller. I still have to shake the immersion chiller around when the ice starts to melt and it keeps it nice and cool

comes out around almost at pitching temp.

im in the process of designing an esky with a submerged fountain pump that should be easily bought from my local hardware store,full of ice and water running thru an immersion chiller and back into the esky to provide a cooled water recirculation system. the ice i guess would need to topped up periodically due to heat transfer and meltage but i think in our current water restrictions this should prove to be a good enough system. depends on how cheap i can get a pump for tho i guess.

has anyone done this before? any comments welcomed :beerbang:

cheers,dan

im in the process of designing an esky with a submerged fountain pump that should be easily bought from my local hardware store,full of ice and water running thru an immersion chiller and back into the esky to provide a cooled water recirculation system. the ice i guess would need to topped up periodically due to heat transfer and meltage but i think in our current water restrictions this should prove to be a good enough system. depends on how cheap i can get a pump for tho i guess.

cheers,dan

I do danman. Another thread way back found that a Bianco Fountain Pump from Bunnings (About $20 from memory) was the best cheap pump to use & almost two years on it's still going strong for me.

:beer:

cheers,dan

Dan,

I had a setup like this before going to no-chill. The pond pump pumped through 3 eskies with coils and frozen ice containers, through the immersion. The ice takes a bit of a hammering initially requiring a bit of changing over and overall wasn't too bad.

Cheers.

Complete_setup.jpg

Latest posts

Back