Another Xmas Beer question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedWonder

Reaction score
Hi all,

Mentioned some of the forums about Christmas beers to SWMBO and now I'm on task to make one (not that I'm complaining about the chance make Sanctioned Beer).

Here's my recipe:

1.5kg tin Coopers Wheat Malt
1.5kg tin Coopers Amber Malt
500g Dark DME
850g Treacle

150g Medium Crystal (steeped)
150g Caramalt (steeped)

5L boil
20g Centennial @ 60 min
20g Cluster @ 45 min
25g Perle @ 30 min (because that's all I have left and I'd rather not throw it out)
20g Centennial @ 15 min
20g Cluster @ 5 min

2 x oranges - zest and juice
2 x cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp whole cloves (6-8 cloves)
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cardamon (powdered)
1 x vanilla pod, cut and seeds scraped (although I may just chuck it in whole as I'm worried that it might be too overpowering)

Spices boiled separately for 15 min then strained into FV

Not sure on what yeast to use, but figuring on using US-05, rehydrated.

Simple temperature control (eskie with ice pack rotation)

Bottling, possibly bulk priming

Aside from the spice schedule, which I think is pretty mild (comparative to the threads I've read here), I'm also wondering about the extract tins I've selected.
I went for a tin of wheat extract (um....because?....is that a good enough reason??) and a tin of amber extract (for colour and such), but is this going to be a weird combination?? I can't imagine why, but I'm always eager for advice.

Thanks for taking the time to read another frigging Xmas beer post!

Cheers,

BW

Hey Beardie,

I made an xmas beer a couple of years back with a recipe similar to the Christmoose Ale and Citymorgue2 has in his signature. Used Fermentis T-58 between 18* and 20* to get a few esters.

From memory it had a similar spice bill as yours, however they were boiled with honey in fresh orange juice before straining into the FV.

Loved it, still have a couple of bottles which I'll open again this Christmas. It started all clovey, then the cinnamon came through about 2 months later and seemed to settle on a prominent cardamom flavour. Almost too strong, but coupled with fruit cake / xmas pud was just right.

I'm not experienced enough to comment on your malt though - sorry mate.

PhantomEasey said:
I made an xmas beer a couple of years back with a recipe similar to the Christmoose Ale and Citymorgue2 has in his signature. Used Fermentis T-58 between 18* and 20* to get a few esters.

From memory it had a similar spice bill as yours, however they were boiled with honey in fresh orange juice before straining into the FV.
OOH!
Boiling the spices in the orange juice and honey you say??
I might give that a crack and substitute the honey for treacle (I don't want to add too much more fermentables, as it's already pretty strong for SWMBO).

And thanks for the tip on the yeast.
I'll see what I can get from the LHBS.

Thanks Phantom!

Back