Another Noob Kegger Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malbur

Reaction score
Hi keggers

Got my kegerator set up, my beer has been sitting 90kpa at 5 deg for about two weeks.
When I pour the first beer there is half a glass of head, when I grab a second glass it pours fine, leave it for about half hour to an hour and the same thing happens.
After I finish pouring I was watching the beer line and you can start seeing little bubbles travelling up the line.
After reading all the info on this forum I did a slow carb just to make sure that I wasn't overcarbing my kegs to eliminate one of many problems I could face.

I have started with 4m of 5mm beer line, as I didn't won't to leave my self short.

Can too much beer line cause any other problems other than a slow pour?

Experienced keggers please :icon_cheers:

I have this same problem with my Celi taps. I think it has to do with the tap being warm (ambiant temp) and the beer being ~3 degrees. Once the tap cools down it comes out fine. I only have about 60cm of beer line between the keg and the tap.

I have this same problem with my Celi taps. I think it has to do with the tap being warm (ambiant temp) and the beer being ~3 degrees. Once the tap cools down it comes out fine. I only have about 60cm of beer line between the keg and the tap.

maybe i have the same issue, I plumbed up a computer fan to blow up into the font but with the font i have after the beer lined go in there is only enough room for an 8mm id hose witch dosen't push a lot of air up there.

It certainly sounds like a warm font cuasing the excess frothing.

As per Frag Dog's post, my taps are similar, more froth in the first pour then after that they are fine.

After I finish pouring I was watching the beer line and you can start seeing little bubbles travelling up the line.

I had this problem with my first two kegs, turns out I had over-carbed the kegs and when I dropped the pressure in the system the result was bubbles in the beer line. The bubbles in the beer line is the CO2 coming out of the beer due to lower pressure then what it was carbed at. The next to kegs were slow-carbed at serving pressure and have been great.

I use 4m of 5mm ID line on the beer lines.

Gavo.

Are you dispensing at 90kpa? Bubbles forming in the line generally means you're dispensing at a pressure too low to keep the co2 in solution. Another possible cause can be if you've got a leaky beer-out post o-ring, it can bleed co2 out of the keg headspace into the line slowly. But it's more likely to be a serving pressure too low

A warm tap wouldnt cause bubbles to appear in the line, so whilst that might be contributing to the problem it isnt the only thing

What kind of taps do you have? If they're Cellis, then the shortest line you can use is what you want. I started out using longer line and was having the same issues as you. Couldn't adjust it to the right at all. Then I changed to short lines and the problem was solved.

Are you dispensing at 90kpa? Bubbles forming in the line generally means you're dispensing at a pressure too low to keep the co2 in solution. Another possible cause can be if you've got a leaky beer-out post o-ring, it can bleed co2 out of the keg headspace into the line slowly. But it's more likely to be a serving pressure too low

A warm tap wouldnt cause bubbles to appear in the line, so whilst that might be contributing to the problem it isnt the only thing

Yep 90 kpa is dispensing pressure.
I will check my kegs and all the fittings for leaks
thanks.

What kind of taps do you have? If they're Cellis, then the shortest line you can use is what you want. I started out using longer line and was having the same issues as you. Couldn't adjust it to the right at all. Then I changed to short lines and the problem was solved.

I am not sure what type of taps they are, there a Floryte style but don't look exactly the same.
I will know what type of taps i have soon when the new perlick's turn up (thanks peteoz77)
I will take a photo tonight if that will help.

You say it happens when you go back half an hour later to pour a beer. Well there is your problem, you aren't pouring refills fast enough! LOL

I agree that after I added a pc fan to my keezer and another aimed at blowing cold air at the tap shanks pours improved immensely! So much so that my taps often dripped with sweat.

You say it happens when you go back half an hour later to pour a beer. Well there is your problem, you aren't pouring refills fast enough! LOL

I agree that after I added a pc fan to my keezer and another aimed at blowing cold air at the tap shanks pours improved immensely! So much so that my taps often dripped with sweat.

I better improve my drinking, and the fan design
get the sweat off me and onto the taps :beerbang:

These are the taps if it makes a difference?

IMGP2452.jpg

Back