Another Gives In To The Dark Side

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Ok after a very long time gearing up I have finally managed to put my first AG in to a fermenter. The day was made possible by the help, guidance and some equipment supplied by nOOch (lets not forget beer and conversation too) thanks mate :beerbang: .

I would also like to thank Mark and Keith from Marks homebrew for advice and service and Gough for showing me how its all done on in the first place, at one of his demo day.

Im now officially a HAG :eek: , not just a HAG groupie. :lol:

Well done Brian, welcome aboard.

Tell us about it. What did you make?

APA supplied by nOOch

4.5 kg Ale Malt
300gm Light Crystal
300gm Wheat Malt

hop wise:

56gm's of Cascade
70gms of Northern Brewer

The additions were

Bitterness - 42gm NB @ 60 min

Flavour - 14gm NB @ 15 mins
14gm Cascade @ 15mins

Aroma - 14gms NB @ 5mins
14gms Cascade @ 5 mins

Dry hop - 28gms of cascade

AS for yeast Wyeast 1056

Mash @ 66

Had a few dramas through the day like:

Thermometer calibration
Ran out of gas way through the boil, :eek: oops

My wife has been asking me if there is anyway to speed up the process or split it in two. I told here yes and yes, firstly a pump would make it little quicker and safer as well so she has told me to "get one then." Orders are orders. :p

Fermented (1wk), racked (2wk), kegged (2day), gassed and sampled. I had better get moving on No. 2 because this one isnt going to last very long. :)

Fermented (1wk), racked (2wk), kegged (2day), gassed and sampled. I had better get moving on No. 2 because this one isnt going to last very long. :)

For my morbid interest, what was the length of your brewday?

Cheers,

Festa

Ps: Outstanding effort.

I told here yes and yes, firstly a pump would make it little quicker and safer as well so she has told me to "get one then." Orders are orders.
You're good :D

Well done offline.

While your good lady is helping you reduce your brewday length by giving the nod to a pump, try for a few extras. A refractometer, scales, grain mill, Nasa burner and electric urn with timer for having water heated and ready to go first thing in the morning. Then, go for a bigger boiler and mashtun. When you brew bigger batches, you won't need to brew as often.

For my morbid interest, what was the length of your brewday?

Cheers,

Festa
Ps: Outstanding effort.

From memory it was 6 hours, this included waiting for the 40L urn to come up to temp and going to a servo for a full LPG bottle, thoroughly enjoyable day though.

Well done offline.

While your good lady is helping you reduce your brewday length by giving the nod to a pump, try for a few extras. A refractometer, scales, grain mill, Nasa burner and electric urn with timer for having water heated and ready to go first thing in the morning. Then, go for a bigger boiler and mashtun. When you brew bigger batches, you won't need to brew as often.

Great idea POL, however patience is needed here, one small step at a time, we dont want to scare her with big $$, although she does pose the question what is your/my time worth.

I have had a part time job for 9 years; I recently proposed using the income from this to pay for brewing related paraphernalia. My wifes response was youre not spending that much on brewing. A couple of weeks later I asked her how much she thought I earn from my part time job, well I actually earn 4 time more then she thinks.

Recipe looks good to me. Infact I brewed an almost identical last weekend.

Hop additions are exact same variety & quantity, only difference being aroma addition was at 0 min.

I gleaned the reipe from Beer Captured where its listed as Anchor Liberty PA Clone.

Back