An Important Man Died Today.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/fred-s...membered-876543

Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth, the civil rights pioneer who co-founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference with Martin Luther King, Jr. and other ministers died today at age 89.

King once described Shuttlesworth as the most courageous civil rights fighter in the South. Among his many accomplishments, the Alabama minister helped organize the 1965 voting rights march from Selma to Montgomery, which ended in a bloody confrontation on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma.

Maybe a little more of this and a little less rampant consumerism and adulation for a guy who just ran a frigging computer company.

I'd say it's a case of unfortunate timing rather than any form deliberate snub.
But let's face it. If some dowdy black woman from Mississippi could rise to become the most wealthy, influential and powerful female on earth, and some half Kenyan, half white from Hawaii could become the most powerful man on earth, someone must have been listening.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/fred-s...membered-876543
Maybe a little more of this and a little less rampant consumerism and adulation for a guy who just ran a frigging computer company.
Hi Clutch,
I started the Steve Jobs thread because another active topic at the time was talking about an iphone brewing app:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=58547&hl=
I'd been reading the Latest Headlines on Firefox about Steve Jobs passing & thought Apple users might like to know.

I've never heard or seen the website: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/fred-s...membered-876543[/url]

Fred Shuttleworth & Martin Luther King are fine examples of determined, mentally tough, strong willed people with gentle spirits who fought to relieve other peoples suffering, but I'm sure they would both have got on very well with Steve Jobs. It's a horses for courses type of world & these people traveled different courses, they all deserve respect for their life's work. The first two for making people aware of injustices in America & the last one for technology that unknown numbers of people covering all the different colours & persuasions have been able to earn & living from & bring up their families with.

Maybe in hindsight you could have just said something positive about Fred Shuttleworth life for others to reflect on.

3 times. 3 times I have replied to this and deleted it. My problem is I like to hear/read the 'sound of my own voice'. Also, I enjoy anything that makes me think.

All I will add to this is that in large part I agree with the O/P's sentiment (assuming that it is about the issue itself and not simply a response to the other thread, in which case I don't particularly agree with the sentiment at all- you see I'm still largely influenced by Kant, thus the intention of the act [rather than the consequence] is of greater importance).

My only comment would be that I don't see it as an 'either/or' situation - and in fact the more 'binaries' you come across you can start to look at the divide between them, i.e. what makes them binary and see that there is, in fact, a great deal of fuzzy indistinction in the distinction itself. But enough Derrida (Jonnyanchovy?).

Back to the topic - I think it is reasonable to say that both men have had an enormous cultural impact in the last half century or so, just that for a largely white, patriarchal community that is removed by many degrees from the U.S. and is still largely blind to it's own racist issues, one has an obvious and direct impact, the other has a less obvious and more indirect impact. Thus the response in a media-driven society will be towards one and not the other.

Bear in mind that what 'is' and what 'ought be' are two different things (although if we drag Derrida down into that distinction things get muddy again haha).

Farken hell - you see why I try not to comment on these ones? You see why I should never start sampling my AIPAs at 1pm? Ah well, refreshingly enough all ethics and other transcendentals may well just be constructs of out own fictitious consciousness and as such it might not matter anyway...perhaps?! Now. Where did I put that bottle opener...

Why work yourself silly on a thread like this ? Everyday thousands of important people die. They are important to someone, their husbands, wives, children, grand children, friends, community, pets etc etc.

Enjoy the compay of the living. Never forget those who have passed away - raise a glass of home brew in their memory, then go hug someone living. :icon_cheers:

^ Like...

I don't get why anyone should care more, or less about someone who died than another person who died. They're/we're all people, all equal. Except for maybe speedie, who I'm sure isn't human at all :lol:

Jokes speedie, I'm sure you are a human, maybe a tin foil hat type of dude, but human.

I'm goin' for a freakin beer

I can't speak for O/P - but I think things like this are interesting because (forget about the actual core issue about the two deceased individuals) the general reaction and response is quite a useful sociological phenomenon that may act as a signifier for other broader issues of debate and social commentary. As I said it is not an "either/or", I don't feel more or less about either scenario (sympathy, empathy whatever), but when all events are open to interpretation the emphasis of X over Y (in any given situation) can speak volumes about the circumstance, the question, the answer and the methdology employed.

I personally am not the least bit worked up, I just like jumping on board after a few beers sometimes HAHA!

Although the contention that we should/should not be worked up more/less about other people's deaths is an interesting one, and not one that we see played out in everyones day to day lives. But I'm going to leave it there as any further philosophical wank I have will be so far removed from the o/p that it would be akin to answering a bottling question with a response about kegs. :lol:

Nothing worked up here, I was unaware of the Steve Jobs thread until this afternoon. It's just something that'd get less fanfare than it actually deserves.
I'm just a cynical **** at times.

Very few people I'd class as heroes have a mugshot, but the good Reverend is one of them.

Why work yourself silly on a thread like this ? Everyday thousands of important people die. They are important to someone, their husbands, wives, children, grand children, friends, community, pets etc etc.

Enjoy the compay of the living. Never forget those who have passed away - raise a glass of home brew in their memory, then go hug someone living. :icon_cheers:

Onya shirtman. Top post. :beer:

I always feel sadder for those who die relatively young. At 89 the reverend had a reasonably long innings.

Back