Amsterdam Mariner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

In a simialr vein, have been buying a Portrugese brew named Cintra for about $30 a carton. A very passable Pilsener and $20-30 less than Urquell. Mind you it's not Urquell but beats the crap out of most $50 Euro beers.

Now is time for me to be flamed, two brews I tolerate, Bavaria, the Dutch beer with a German name made for an Australian supermarket chain and drunk by a Scot (me).
The other is a local called Haagen, made for independent supermarket chains, different from the CUB and have had the balls to put some flavour into it.
LIke most though, I prefer HB, especially after experimenting with a few.
A friend nearby makes the worst brew I have ever had, No Name Lager kit with 1Kg white sugar.
It tastes absolutely bloody awful, no matter how long it's kept.
A lager that should be put away in a cool dark place and forgotten :(

I dont mind Amsterdam Mariner at all, makes up at least of half my batch of stubbies. But the bottleshop at Bowral knows exactly what i want when i ask for 'ol nasty'

Deals out a much meatier hangover than Lowenbrau, but at $29 a carton i'll suffer tomorrow.

Edit Oops wrong shortening of name of beer

Amsterdam mariner is a good sub for Amstel Lager.

It's much better than the locally brewed beck's and P.Urquell but the imported versions of the two are much better.

If I'm going to buy a cheap slab, I can pay $35-$40on an australian lager or $29 on a beer that actually has a bit of malt flavour. I know what I'm going to buy.

timmy said:
locally brewed P.Urquell
?? Surely not???

I scored some Aldi beers off the in-laws which were surprisingly good. Dunno what they cost but I bet they were cheap.

dont mind it here been drinking it off and on when funds have been low

Malnourished said:
timmy said:
locally brewed P.Urquell
?? Surely not???

I scored some Aldi beers off the in-laws which were surprisingly good. Dunno what they cost but I bet they were cheap.
[post="114230"][/post]​

Aldi sell beers?

For 9 bucks a six pack haagen is the go - if your looking for value - which as a student that's almost exclusively what I'm looking for.

The theory about green bottle effecting the taste of beer is only true if the beer has been subject to direct sunlight...

However I can definately taste the difference between heineken brewed in holland and heineken brewed under liscence. In fact new zealand heineken is alot cheaper than the stuff in Australia with good reason.

But If I'm just buying at my local bottle-o i just get a couple of longnecks of reschs dinner ale. Certainly the best in the same price range as vb and new.

On occasion I have been known to spend exuberant amounts on belgian beer. At nearly double the strength of most premium beers they really get the buzz going. A more frugal option is to buy Excalibur Strong by Morland by the 500ml can (8.%) for 5 about 5 bucks australian. But I've not seen it for sale in aus.

Hi All,

In a simialr vein, have been buying a Portrugese brew named Cintra for about $30 a carton. A very passable Pilsener and $20-30 less than Urquell. Mind you it's not Urquell but beats the crap out of most $50 Euro beers.

I can vouch for the Cintra's as well. My local has them every now and again at 2 slabs for $50. Pretty good price and a decent summer drop for the bbq. Still it's a bit of an effort getting through the 2nd slab!

Gotta love cut-price Euro swill for a change every now and again... and to stock up on bottles. Better get a case of something this weekend. Might try the Mariners.

Funny you guys came up with this topic, I was at the grog shop a few weeks ago and spotted Amsterdam Mariner, lived in Holland most of my life and have never seen the stuff over there <_<

Got a slab of Haagen Light yesterday from Dan murphys. For $20 a slab you can't go wrong... apart from the fact it's light beer (hiding my face in shame). :ph34r:

Gotta love european sounding beers that are actually produced in Victoria. Tastes okay too.
I would like to try one next to a heineken, as it was suprisingly similar in taste!

noticed the local bws not only had mariner stubbies for $30 but now has 24x500ml cans for $37.

I remember seeing Ammy at Dan's when it first came out here, the summer before last and going "WTF?! It can't be imported for this price, it must be crap."

Naturally I bought a case and it wasn't so bad. Drunk it quite regularly for a good 2 months and then I slowly but surely found myself despising the stuff.

My mates and I had formed a theory (late one night after quite a few) that they released a fine quality lager for a month or so at cost price to get us all hooked, and slowly degraded the quality to make profits...

But I guess if people are still drinking it now it might not be as bad as I think, though it's probably being compared to top quality VB (Victorian Becks) today and shapes up quite well.

if i go to Murphys i always walk out with a slab of Urquell or Bitburger, looks like a Mariner is on the cards now though.

I also thought "this must be crap" when I saw it for $30 at Woolies on the weekend...being low on stocks I bought a case.

Not bad at all I must say, and for the price it's a great beer :super:

BTW, no sugar, ingredients are listed as Water, Malted Barley & Hops (no mention of yeast...guess there's none left after filtration :ph34r: ).

Can't wait to get home a down half a dozen of them :chug:

PZ.

$37 a case for the 500mL cans is a great deal, the beer ain't bad. 500mL cans fill a pint glass pretty well, unfortunately this beer doesn't have much of a head for an all-malt brew though.

Not something i'd buy all the time (i buy Urquell when i'm buying commercial stuff since i can usually get it for 40 odd bucks a case) but when HB stocks are running low and i'm short of money, definitely worth a pop.

Latest posts

Back