American Two Row = ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markarena

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm grabbing recipes from Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff. The recipes for blonde ale and American brown ale call for American two row malt. The recipes for ESB and porter call for English pale malt. What should I be buying for American two row? The grain lists from shops show English pale, but I don't see American two row. What gives? Can I buy an English pale instead? Thanks! Mark

I've always understood it to be just pale/ale malt nothing special, stand to be corrected if need be.

I've always understood it to be just pale/ale malt nothing special, stand to be corrected if need be.

Exactly what I've always thought.
Use a good British base malt for those types of beers but most others get the old Ale, Pils or combination of both. Actually I tend to even use normal ale for my British beers.

2 row - JW Traditional Ale malt for the win!

For your English - use your run of the mill Maris Otter, Halcyon, Golden Promise etc.

Ive just brewed an English with JW ale yesterday too wambesi (spruced up with some aromatic malt). Be interesting to see how she turns out comparitvely to the beers ive made with maris Otter.

Hi there! I'm grabbing recipes from Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff. The recipes for blonde ale and American brown ale call for American two row malt. The recipes for ESB and porter call for English pale malt. What should I be buying for American two row? The grain lists from shops show English pale, but I don't see American two row. What gives? Can I buy an English pale instead? Thanks! Mark

Barley can be either 2 row or 6 row. This is related to how many rows of grains are on the barley stalk thing. The kernels of 2 row malts are larger then 6 row, contain a higher starch compared to husk/cell wall. So basically 2 row has more starch while 6 row has less starch but more protein and enzyme (which is better for high adjunct brews using corn or rice).

Basically all malt you get in Australia is 2 row as far as i know. I think Aussie malts are pretty similar to American malts. English malts like Marris otter tend to be kilned a bit more which results in lower diastatic power and more malty flavour profile in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back