American Ipa Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simcoe for bittering and Amarillo for flavour and aroma are a an irresistable combo.
Both hops have great f+a and VERY low co-humulone levels, making for high but smooth bittering.

The current "Genuine Pale Ale" at Grumpy's Brewhaus uses these two to nice effect.

tdh

Thanks for that TDH.

I did some quick research on the some of the American sites and they seem to rate it very highly. I must say i never even considered it.

And as a bonus it seems that the majority are fond of using it as a good flavour addition as well. I now will more likley go with Simcoe instead of Chinook. The write ups of Chinook intimidate me.

Looks like the IPA and Imperial IPA will now be featuring Simcoe, Amarillo and Williamette.

You've been most helpful guys/girls

Will

Can someone explain why salt is added ? I haven't seen this is any recipes before.

are we refering to brewing salts or plan old table salt.

ok crells i will give some answers.
sodium can accentuate beer flavours
chloride enhances beer flavour and palate fullness.
i believe what you are seeking is basically salts can be added to achieve similar water characteristics that are unique to certain ipas from england.ie burton salts.or to burtanize your mash/sparge water.
water chemistry is not my forte

cheers
big d

crells said:
Can someone explain why salt is added ? I haven't seen this is any recipes before.
[post="114439"][/post]​

Crells,

I add a teaspoon of table salt to a standard 23L batch - I reckon it enhances the flavour - Not many brewers do it, just personal choice...

cheers Ross...

Crells
You need to add your location to your profile. If you live in Perth, there is plenty of salt in the brine they sell us as tap water.

Regarding AIPA's has anyone ever tried SN Celebration Ale? The yanks seem to rave about this beer as being a prime example of a classic AIPA. The recipe they seem to love is given on the following site

Northern Brewer

I'll repost it for those who are emperically challenged.

5.44kg Domestic 2 Row Malt
0.45kg English Crystal Malt 45-50L

28g Chinook 60 min
7g Chinook 30 min
28g Cascade flameout
14g Cascade dry hop
14g Centennial dry hop
14g tsp Irish Moss, 15 minutes

OG, 1068 and yeast=WLP001, 19L batch

It looks a pretty simple recipe, i think i might try it by subbing the cascade for amarillo, and centennial for williamette. If the "famous" Denny Conn rates it then it must be alright.

Any comments on the recipe?

Will

kungy said:
Regarding AIPA's has anyone ever tried SN Celebration Ale? The yanks seem to rave about this beer as being a prime example of a classic AIPA. The recipe they seem to love is given on the following site

Northern Brewer

I'll repost it for those who are emperically challenged.

5.44kg Domestic 2 Row Malt
0.45kg English Crystal Malt 45-50L

28g Chinook 60 min
7g Chinook 30 min
28g Cascade flameout
14g Cascade dry hop
14g Centennial dry hop
14g tsp Irish Moss, 15 minutes

OG, 1068 and yeast=WLP001, 19L batch

It looks a pretty simple recipe, i think i might try it by subbing the cascade for amarillo, and centennial for williamette. If the "famous" Denny Conn rates it then it must be alright.

Any comments on the recipe?

Will
[post="114501"][/post]​

Hey Kungy,

Why substitute on what appears to be a tried & tested brew? - your changes will have little resemblence to the posted recipe - The recipe sonds really nice, as is...

Cheers Ross...

I brew only infrequently so i have to use my hops in only 4 brews a season. I can't really justify buying centennial hops for 14 grams. If i pick these hops for this brew, it just means i have to substitute it in other recipes. Its one big vicious circle, but fits my brewing habits perfectly. I suppose i could just brew more ;-)

I plan to keep the chinook, and thinking about it i could potentially keep the cascade hops too. However I will muse over it in the coming weeks, i do like the stance of why change something that is tried and tested, so i will keep changes to a minimum where possible.

Will

Hi, well i have done my musings and have decided to stick with the SN Celebration Ale from the Northern Site.

However i have some questions regarding a planned American Style Barleywine and the hopping schedule of it. Yes it is based on GL's recipe, but i'm not a fan of melanoidin, so i have dropped it back a bit. The recipe is-

GL Demon Barley Wine

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.65
Anticipated OG: 1.081
Anticipated SRM: 10.2
Anticipated IBU: 78.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68 %

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
49.4 4.27 kg. IMC Ale Malt Australia 1.038 2
37.0 3.21 kg. Hoepfner Pilsner malt Germany 1.038 2
8.0 0.69 kg. Hoepfner Munich Malt Germany 1.038 9
3.1 0.27 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 74
2.5 0.21 kg. Hoepfner Melanoidin Germany 1.037 20

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.25 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 46.9 60 min.
23.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 13.7 30 min.
34.50 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 7.50 8.5 15 min.
23.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 9.1 15 min.
37.95 g. Cascade Plug 6.00 0.0 0 min.
23.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 7.50 0.0 0 min.
13.80 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 0.0 0 min.
11.50 g. Centennial Pellet 9.40 0.0 Dry Hop

WLP001 California Ale Slurry

The question is regarding the grain bill and the hopping schedule. I have never had such a complicated hop bill (even though it is pretty simple in regards to others).

I feel like its a bit all over the shop. What do you guys think? I really have no idea, so all advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS- i plan on doing small batch. I just scaled it up so its easier to comprehend.

Thanks

Will

Latest posts

Back