Allagash White

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxy007

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I here that Allagash White is a better Wit than Hoegaarden (Which I enjoy). I tried to find it at Uncle Jim's in Belconnen but they didn't stock it.

Does anyone know where It can be found in the ACT and what the Approx cost per stubbie is?

Cheers,

Maxy

It's usually nigh on impossible to get/find any of the good yank (smaller) micro beers over here. No one seems to be able to persuade them it's worth sending them over. You could maybe try... Worldbeers.com
keep us posted on the search

In lieu of finding the white you are after,
have you tried the Unibroue - Blanche De Chambly

I think it is stunning. totally delicious.

I concur with Josh
Blanche de Chambly is an excellent beer (especially in canada where it is only about $11 a 6 pack!), and it is easily accessable (sp?) in Oz. Other beers to keep an eye out for will be Blanche de Bruges and Celis White (pierre celis was the head brewer for Hoegaarden, IIRC). I have no idea if either of them are available in our fair country, but are more likely to be than the american micro's.
The best way to try an Allagash White is by getting yourself on a plane to the US and trying it there (along with dozens of other top quality wits). If you do take that route, make sure to grab a bottle of Allagash Curieux, it sure is a mouth pleaser. Maybe try writing to Allagash and see if they can start sending us some of their lovely offerings as a last resort, or even make yer own. I am always fairly happy with my witbiers.
All the best
Trent

I concur with Josh
Blanche de Chambly is an excellent beer (especially in canada where it is only about $11 a 6 pack!), and it is easily accessable (sp?) in Oz. Other beers to keep an eye out for will be Blanche de Bruges and Celis White (pierre celis was the head brewer for Hoegaarden, IIRC). I have no idea if either of them are available in our fair country, but are more likely to be than the american micro's.
The best way to try an Allagash White is by getting yourself on a plane to the US and trying it there (along with dozens of other top quality wits). If you do take that route, make sure to grab a bottle of Allagash Curieux, it sure is a mouth pleaser. Maybe try writing to Allagash and see if they can start sending us some of their lovely offerings as a last resort, or even make yer own. I am always fairly happy with my witbiers.
All the best
Trent

Thanks for the suggestions guys I love trying new beers!!
I'll definetly try the Blanche de Chambly and others.
I tried one called Zest one had a lemon flavour and the other had a lme flavour. I thought they were pretty ordinary :huh:
will keep you posted if I can find Allagash.

Cheers,

Maxy

will keep you posted if I can find Allagash.

If you do, I would be amazed (and very pleased to learn where and how much).

The little guys in the US have enough domestic market to sell everything that they can brew. There is no motivation to spend the time and money setting up export routes to backwaters like Aus.

I concur with Josh
All the best
Trent
Trent,

I have bought Blanche de Bruges at Cellarbrations in Georgetown (Newcastle). It was more mild than Hoegaarden, and similar to the La Trappe Witte (from First Choice liquor).

Les out

I think you'd have more chance of lassoing a ghost than finding an Allagash product in Australia. But would be very happy to be proven wrong!

When I lived in Boston, Allagash was in the area. The homebrew club I was a part of had a yearly clone competition and I remember this beer was the one to clone once upon a time. Idea is see who could get closest to the beer, rather than who had the best beer. I think for the Allagash White a bunch of people were invited to the brewery to do the judging for clone competition. For some strange reason, I never really liked their wit. I think they use to much of a particular spice that I am very sensitive to, or something like that. Anyway, I'll see if I can find the winning recipe.

Here it is, on page 5:

http://www.wort.org/Brewprint/2003-06.pdf

Berp.

Bad news guys!!
I emailed Allagash and here's their response.

"Thanks for getting in touch with us. Allagash does not have distribution outside the US. There are different ways to get beers without using the distribution chain: many people trade beers over the internet. I do not know very much about it at all, but I have heard people talk about it.

Good luck finding it; it is a great beer. Maybe someday the company will be doing well enough to afford to ship to Australia."

Cheers,

Maxy

Maxy
There are about 1400 other micro's that will give you the same response if you ask them about getting hteir beers in Australia. Start saving yer pennies (and yer holidays) and get yaself over to the states for a few weeks/months. With the amount of incredibly cheap and high quality beers available over there, I am surprised that anybody home brews!
Your best bet is to try the recipe that Berp put up, and I would advise against brewing it exactly like the gent in there did - thats a pretty funny story if you read it! Congrats to Berp for getting third place, too. I have a funny feeling it is even harder to get a placing in the states than it is an Oz.
All the best
Trent

I think you should call every little bottle shop in oz, just to check they dont have any...

Back