Aldi Welder The Go For Brew Frame?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once was looking for a handheld beltsander...

so i went to bunnings...

the first one i looked at was an ozito 1500watter..$99

i then moved up the price range.. fancier and fancier

till i hit the Hitachi 1500watter... $350 :blink: hangon it looks just like the the ozito...

and when i checked it even had the same bearing serial numbers..

i could find no difference except for the color...

makes you wonder...

an aircon guy told me a similar story once... that for every air con you can buy there is a High price model thats the same as the cheap version only the case is different...

not sure how true but he rattled off at least 10 brands that had matching parts for higher and lower models.

sqyre.. :blink:

I once was looking for a handheld beltsander...

so i went to bunnings...

the first one i looked at was an ozito 1500watter..$99

i then moved up the price range.. fancier and fancier

till i hit the Hitachi 1500watter... $350 :blink: hangon it looks just like the the ozito...

and when i checked it even had the same bearing serial numbers..

i could find no difference except for the color...

makes you wonder...

an aircon guy told me a similar story once... that for every air con you can buy there is a High price model thats the same as the cheap version only the case is different...

not sure how true but he rattled off at least 10 brands that had matching parts for higher and lower models.

sqyre.. :blink:

Ive herd the exact same thing with tools. Also with food from aldi its the well known brands but in differant packaging.

Just like VB and Crownys i spose. same shit, differant bottle :lol:

I take the view that if you only use it once a year, but on a big job, then it pays to get the tool that will not break, unlike the three $20 angle grinders that my friends used to cut a hole a single stainless vessel a couple years back.

Most of my tools are mid-range, ie Makita (circular saw, jigsaw, orbital and belt sanders, hammer drill), and I have a 1980's "B&D Industrial" angle grinder, which is still going strong, cuts thru SS like butter. I've been thru two cheap B&D cordless drills, which I only use as screwdrivers and the only reason the first one died was the charger could not be replaced for less than the cost of the new B&D drill... grrrr. That shits me too. Having to toss a perfectly good tool because the shape of the battery changed. What a waste!

I'm not a trady, nor particularly handy, but when I sand, drill or saw something, I want to do so with confidence that the tool is not going to bang in my hands. YMMV.

But yes, at least with Aldi you can return it for a refund. Please do return it when it breaks.

I have been a trady for the last 28yrs and my view is, yep you get what you pay for, but if you only need a Holden then why buy a Ferrari. Utimately they will achieve the same outcome, getting you from A to B. Most of my power tools are Makita, and I've had them for the past 20yrs or more and that is because I have looked after them and never pushed them past what the manufacturer intended of them. It does not matter if you buy your tools from Lexus, if you push them past their intended limits, they will die. I also have power tools from Aldi, GMC and others that were cheap as chips and are going strong because I can accept them for what they are and treat them accordingly. For anyone who wants to dive into welding, I recommend you buy a $100 cheapie, see how you go with it, then, if you want to start more advanced welding, look for something more expensive.

cheers

Browndog

hi
i am a welder (boilermaker) ...usually industrial steel (structural)...i can see two things that are going to give you the right shits with that welder...
1 its a stick welder and whilst theres nothing at all difficult about using one you'll probably find the going slow and frustrating esp when it comes to the fabricating part of the job...a mig would probably suit you better but then theres' the rub of more coin spent ...
2 as others have said it'll most probably have a crap duty cycle on it ...again it'll be more frustrating then difficult ...
on the plus side (although from the looks of it rather limited...you may not be able to change the polarity on that model ...)genererally stick welders are cheaper...have bugger all moving parts so less to go wrong...electrodes are cheap...and you will (depends on the polarity issue sometimes ) be able to weld aluminium and stainless just by changing the type of electrode you use...
there is an attachment i can send you on arc welding if you like just post me okay...or anyone else who wants a copy...

cheers simpletotoro

The good thing about buying cheap and being a handyman not tradesman, someone like GMC will be true to their 2 year warranty, doesn't matter what you do to it in that 2 years, if it buggers up, they WILL replace it.....

Myself...i'm a makita kind a guy.....my wife even has a makita, sorry, no she doesn't...thats a victa....

I am a trady of sorts and have a dynalink hammer drill that I can't kill with a stick. I also run 2 B&D cordless hammer drills that I have changed over both the batteries, the chargers and the chucks on. My motto, go cheap and exchange often.

As for who is getting ripped off since the price of these things have dropped I don't think it is the workers making them now. I think it was us before.

I have been a trady for the last 28yrs and my view is, yep you get what you pay for, but if you only need a Holden then why buy a Ferrari. Utimately they will achieve the same outcome, getting you from A to B. Most of my power tools are Makita, and I've had them for the past 20yrs or more and that is because I have looked after them and never pushed them past what the manufacturer intended of them. It does not matter if you buy your tools from Lexus, if you push them past their intended limits, they will die. I also have power tools from Aldi, GMC and others that were cheap as chips and are going strong because I can accept them for what they are and treat them accordingly. For anyone who wants to dive into welding, I recommend you buy a $100 cheapie, see how you go with it, then, if you want to start more advanced welding, look for something more expensive.

cheers

Browndog

I agree with you too browndog... my old man retired 25 years ago where he was given a makita drill...

which he passed onto me when the arthritis set in... i killed it while builing the shed..

well i thought i did.. turns out the bushes were burnt down to the holders..

i rang mitre 10 at 4:40pm on a sat arvo and they had a set and i ducked down and grabed them...

never missed a beat since...

i also have had the same makita 9 inch for the last 10 years..

some gear lasts some doesn't..

sqyre.. ;)

Myself...i'm a makita kind a guy.....my wife even has a makita, sorry, no she doesn't...thats a victa....

my wife is a Pleasure vibe 5000 kinda girl...

but thats a different story...( she crushes them all the time)

:blink: :rolleyes:

Sqyre... ;)

hi
i am a welder (boilermaker) ...usually industrial steel (structural)...i can see two things that are going to give you the right shits with that welder...
1 its a stick welder and whilst theres nothing at all difficult about using one you'll probably find the going slow and frustrating esp when it comes to the fabricating part of the job...a mig would probably suit you better but then theres' the rub of more coin spent ...
2 as others have said it'll most probably have a crap duty cycle on it ...again it'll be more frustrating then difficult ...
on the plus side (although from the looks of it rather limited...you may not be able to change the polarity on that model ...)genererally stick welders are cheaper...have bugger all moving parts so less to go wrong...electrodes are cheap...and you will (depends on the polarity issue sometimes ) be able to weld aluminium and stainless just by changing the type of electrode you use...
there is an attachment i can send you on arc welding if you like just post me okay...or anyone else who wants a copy...

cheers simpletotoro

I can see your point totally, but don't you think that welding ally and S/S is a bit beyond the handyman that wants to buy a welder to fabricate some mild steel? It's hard enough to learn to TIG ally and S/S let alone try do it with a stick welder. As a handyman's skill progresses, I can see them getting the shits with a cheap welder, but for the newbie welder, they can't go wrong.

cheers

Browndog

I can see your point totally, but don't you think that welding ally and S/S is a bit beyond the handyman that wants to buy a welder to fabricate some mild steel? It's hard enough to learn to TIG ally and S/S let alone try do it with a stick welder. As a handyman's skill progresses, I can see them getting the shits with a cheap welder, but for the newbie welder, they can't go wrong.

cheers

Browndog
yep i agree 100% with what you say ...but i was just pointing out the pros and cons ...and i agree that for $80 that even if they only make a couple of things with it...he'll still be ahead ...just trying to encourage him really ..theres worst skills in life you can aquire then learning to weld...who knows he may be a natural...i wish him luck ...that attachments available if anyone wants it...pm me
cheers simpletotoro

Hi Guys an Girls,

I was in BOC the other week and saw a welder for $399 I would have picked but diddnt have the cash. I just saw in the Aldi Catalogue this one
[attachmentid=13954
[ATTACH]13954.IPB[/ATTACH]

Welder and Mask
No load voltage 48V
Current range: 45-100A
Suitable electrode: 1.6-2.5mm
Thermostatic protection and fan cooling
Includes electrode holder with cable, earth clamp with cable, wire brush, protective mask, hammer and power supply cable
Accessories not included
$ 79.-*

Would this be the ticket for a budding welder? I really want it to make a three tier brew frame to put all my all grain gear on

Could the welders out there recommend this one or should I save up a bit mor and go for a higher speced one?

Big thanks, Jason.

hi,
$79.00 is good value for what seems to be a 130 amp ac welder.

the inverter d.c light weight welders are good value for a few hundred dollars, these days. they also have t.i.g connection features.

d.c welding is more flexible with straight and reverse options.
try ebay with dc welders as search item
cheers,, alan

I bought a rather cheap inverter to build my brewery"$400", i'd never tigged before...mine turned out alright...

brewery.jpg

behind the wall (in the garage) i have a temprite, goes out 9 degrees comes back 1...trying to get the missus to let me bring one inside.....

My first post and an ex tradie.

If that is all you want it for and you have not welded much before then go for it.

Tack weld all your joins first and then once assembled finish the welds in small sections, if it does (which i doubt it will) die then just take it back.

I am all for supporting aussie made but i doubt you will find the electrics of any welder in aus made here, a sad but true fact of the current economic climate.

I couldn't really tell you the first thing about welders, but find with a lot of that stuff these days there's only two options - super expensive, or cheap chinese crap. I tend to just go for the cheap chinese crap and buy it often.

As an (ex) tradesman I have always shied away from cheap s*it.
Think about this in regards to global warming. --- Most of the rubbish bought from cheap sources like Super Cheap, Crazy Clarks, Big Dub, & even the cheap brands at Bunnings inevitably end up at the dump in a very short time.
Even one el cheapo product bought by you (maybe several times over?) & multiplied 10,000 others then dumped, is a blight on our world.
One good product should (perhaps) last you a lifetime if looked after properly.

Think Green!

:beer:

Back