Airlock Activity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
Hi all, Just doing my first brew but am a little concerned about my brew. I started it 3 days ago, the hydro reading was 1042 and is now at 1011. During this time the airlock has had very little activity (think i had a slight leak in the fermenter so tightend) The temp has been around 21-24, there was foam but now has none, condensation is on the lid, it tastes like beer but bitter and no fizz. My major concern is that when i pitched the yeast i did not really mix it very well with the work and am worried that alot of the yeast has died.
Does any of this make sence and am i just over concerned and just need to chill out???
PLEASE HELP

Yep, chill out and keep taking Hydro measurements till they don't change.

Then you will know it's done, and you can bottle / keg.

It you had foam (krausen) It's obviously done it's job.

Hi all, Just doing my first brew but am a little concerned about my brew. I started it 3 days ago, the hydro reading was 1042 and is now at 1011. During this time the airlock has had very little activity (think i had a slight leak in the fermenter so tightend) The temp has been around 21-24, there was foam but now has none, condensation is on the lid, it tastes like beer but bitter and no fizz. My major concern is that when i pitched the yeast i did not really mix it very well with the work and am worried that alot of the yeast has died.
Does any of this make sence and am i just over concerned and just need to chill out???
PLEASE HELP
Sounds completely normal to me. Airlock activity is but one very unreliable measure of yeast attenuation and activity. To me it sounds like 1011 would be getting very close to being done if not already. Take hydro reading this afternoon and again tomorrow and if they still read the same your ready to bottle of keg.

Fermented beer out of the fermenter has not carbonated up so don't worry about the lack fizz and the bitterness can be percieved sharper without the fizz. So nothing to worry about there. Relax!

I am guessing your doing an ale so next time when doing an ale try to keep the temps between 18 to 20C.

So chill out take your hydro reading and get ready to bottle as your almost there. :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Chappo

So nice to see the forum answering these kinds of questions in a friendly, welcoming manner again! good work guys!

hope the brew goes well Rik, and welcome.

Mate, it sounds like its behaving itself, dont worry too much about the airlock activity. Rely on hydrometer.
If you had good Krausen (foam) and condensation etc, its all good.
The yeast not being thoroughly stirred in is not a big concern either, it will find the sugars regardless, and i think it varies from brewer to brewer which way they apply their yeast (some stir some dont).
What brew did you make with what ingredients?
IMO i would leave it for a couple more days, see if it has dropped anymore, and once you get a few stable readings after that, consider bottling.

Sounds completely normal to me. Airlock activity is but one very unreliable measure of yeast attenuation and activity. To me it sounds like 1011 would be getting very close to being done if not already. Take hydro reading this afternoon and again tomorrow and if they still read the same your ready to bottle of keg.

Fermented beer out of the fermenter has not carbonated up so don't worry about the lack fizz and the bitterness can be percieved sharper without the fizz. So nothing to worry about there. Relax!

I am guessing your doing an ale so next time when doing an ale try to keep the temps between 18 to 20C.

So chill out take your hydro reading and get ready to bottle as your almost there. :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Chappo
Dammit Chappo! your like the phantom of the AHB board.. always beating me!
and by beating i didnt mean with the wort paddle in any seductive manner... hahahah

Dammit Chappo! your like the phantom of the AHB board.. always beating me!
and by beating i didnt mean with the wort paddle in any seductive manner... hahahah

Thanks Guy's,
Your Knowledge and eagerness to help is appreciated.
I will keep taking my reading and maybe bottle on sunday if all is good...

Thank you

Rik:)

Cheers

Chappo

Think it's a lager, can't remember the brand it was recomended by my brew shop, but thats good to know...

So nice to see the forum answering these kinds of questions in a friendly, welcoming manner again! good work guys!

I think thats because he asked nicely and didnt start his post by saying "I am not going to bother searching" or something to that effect. Good luck Rik sound like youre on track.
Cheers Greg :D

Most newbie questions I've seen answered here politely or at the very least with informative links. I can only recall one person who got a bit of grief and that was exactly for the reason mentioned above (opened post with 'I'm not going to bother searching') which pretty much let to 'we're not going to bother helping' and a few jokes.

Seriously I entered this forum asking if it was ok to keep my Brigalow Ginger beer after breaking my hydrometer in it (lead balls, glass and all) and no-one was mean to me.

Most newbie questions I've seen answered here politely or at the very least with informative links. I can only recall one person who got a bit of grief and that was exactly for the reason mentioned above (opened post with 'I'm not going to bother searching') which pretty much let to 'we're not going to bother helping' and a few jokes.

Seriously I entered this forum asking if it was ok to keep my Brigalow Ginger beer after breaking my hydrometer in it (lead balls, glass and all) and no-one was mean to me.

Iv'e got to say my whole experience with brewing beer thus far has been fantastic, and with all the people willing to hand over knowledge is great.
I did try the search function but found it a little tricky-- Practice is what i need..
Thanks
Again

It really does help to go to the advanced search page, and try searching in Topic Titles Only... also make use of quotes (" ") to search for a string of words together.

Rik: I think your fears are unfounded and Chappo is on the money. If this was your second or third brew we'd say DWRAHAHB.

Real lagers (using a lager yeast) are fermented much lower, like 10-12 degrees. Many basic "lager" kits however, come with a generic ale style yeast which should get you ok results but in time you can expand your horizons to include better yeast such as the saf-ale and saf-lager styles.

Now go and find out what RAHAHB means... :p

Latest posts

Back