Aiba 2008 - Matilda Bay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the article "WA brewery gets top beer honour" it would be good if they actually brewed any of their beers here, Aah the power of marketing <_<

And has anyone seen the new Mac's "Rock Hopper" at your local bottle shop I see it got champion lager (at least they spelled lager right). I wonder if it is anything different to their Hoprocker??

I like the article "WA brewery gets top beer honour" it would be good if they actually brewed any of their beers here, Aah the power of marketing <_<

And has anyone seen the new Mac's "Rock Hopper" at your local bottle shop I see it got champion lager (at least they spelled lager right). I wonder if it is anything different to their Hoprocker??

probably has a fine flame-out addition of gravel..... B)

Seems not even the Mac's website has heard of the Rock Hopper.

Kev

They seems to be getting some gongs...

The Matilda Bay "Alpha Pale Ale" won the "2008 Grand Champion Beer" at the Sydney Royal (Easter) Show Fine Foods competitions.

Rabz

I hope it was not for their Redback Kristal ! Tastes like Carlton Dry only worse....and that is just my wife's interpretation of the woeful stuff..... :lol:

The awards changed this year so that the Champion Brewery goes to a brewery that does best overall, not to the brewery that brews the best single beer.

Looks like the AHB Sydney Crawl will have to include the Champion Small Brewery!

I really thought they were going to take out the big one. Did you see the list of beers that didn't arrive or were withdrawn? IPA, Koelsch, Porter, Rauch. Some of their best beers didn't get judged!

I hope it was not for their Redback Kristal ! Tastes like Carlton Dry only worse....and that is just my wife's interpretation of the woeful stuff..... :lol:

Cheers

Redgums
I've said it before, but...There is a reason that brewing wheat beer with a lager yeast is illegal in Germany.

Filthy p!ss, very sad. :(

Les out :p

Anyone know why some beers were disqualified?

Well done to the AHB boys! A great showing from Keith, Gough and Dig.

Dig, you can't have missed champion small brewery by much with two golds.

I hope the results will end up some more of these beers being a bit easier to find. Mac's was everywhere in Bris this time last year, but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. I've got the shakes for a pilsener, baaaad.

Pedro, The Good Reverend Dr J Bob, Big Fridge and myself also picked up awards...

Seems we need Gordon Lindsay to come back from the dead, GOLD GOLD GOLD was pretty hard to come by this Comp.

Scotty

?

This is one of the hardest things about the awards. It's been suggested (and I understand why) that it's the brewery not the brand that should get the awards. But that means that all those micro's, who've worked hard on their styles/recipes/marketing, but get their beer contact brewed by AIB, Regency or anyone else aren't eligible. Malt Shovel suddenly can't enter half their beers.

Being a Sandgroper my thoughts after reading the results are that while WA picked some gold medals overall they did not fair that well, even in terms of entries they were not that well represented, I thought there would have been more overall entries, also though, some of the big american beers did not get as appreciated as they generally are.

t all those micro's, who've worked hard on their styles/recipes/marketing, but get their beer contact brewed by AIB, Regency or anyone else aren't eligible.

Baron's won a few awards, and Snowy Mountains won at least one. Aren't they AIB contracted?

Baron's won a few awards, and Snowy Mountains won at least one. Aren't they AIB contracted?

PM. thats what I'm saying. If we say that Matilda Bay don't really make their own beer, then we have to say the others don't. I don't think that is really fair to the brewer. Contract brewing gives these guys a chance to develop a recipe and build up a market without the huge outlay of getting started. Contract brewers, and especially AIB provide a great service for new micro's. As far as black and white rules go, a brewer who uses AIB to make their beer is not a lot different to MB using "another brewery" to make theirs.

It's a tricky one

PM. thats what I'm saying. If we say that Matilda Bay don't really make their own beer, then we have to say the others don't. I don't think that is really fair to the brewer. Contract brewing gives these guys a chance to develop a recipe and build up a market without the huge outlay of getting started. Contract brewers, and especially AIB provide a great service for new micro's. As far as black and white rules go, a brewer who uses AIB to make their beer is not a lot different to MB using "another brewery" to make theirs.

It's a tricky one
Maybe this got taken the wrong way, my comment was mainly aimed at the newspaper article more than anything else. MB pump out some fine beers especially from the garage but to say that they are a WA brewer is a fallacy, they were at one stage but no longer if the reporter could read then he would have noted this!

Matilda Bay Brewing Company
MELBOURNE, VICTORIA - AUSTRALIA
Bohemian Pilsner
Redback Mild
Redback Original

This is one of the hardest things about the awards. It's been suggested (and I understand why) that it's the brewery not the brand that should get the awards. But that means that all those micro's, who've worked hard on their styles/recipes/marketing, but get their beer contact brewed by AIB, Regency or anyone else aren't eligible. Malt Shovel suddenly can't enter half their beers.

There's a flipside to that one though ... you might notice that the James Squire brewhouses won the odd medal for the same beer brewed at two of their different locations. Same brand, same recipe, different brewery so more than one medal.

Not commenting on the rightness or wrongness either way, just that it goes in both directions.

Back