Ag Equipment Finished

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah if it's working well then I probably wouldn't worry. It might work better if there is a gap, but you'd have to ask someone who's experimented with the gap on these burners. That shroud looks like it was made for a keg ;). Mine is a three ring so I can't seal it that well anyway.

Cheers, Justin

Edit the spelling of shroud

That shroud looks like it was made for a keg

Tell me about it, the thing fits bloody beautifully :lol: act as a excellent wind break which was very useful on the weekend.

I tried braid in the kettle too , I found the same problem with blockages.

I do need to filter the kettle wort as it flows through a C.C.F.W.C. and I belive this could block.

I use a GMK filter idea , differance is I bought a food grade one from a marine place , they are also clear plastic so you can see if the wort is flowing.

I got mine from 'Whitworths" $11.95

http://www.whitworths.com.au

Link too GMK inline filter
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...inline%20filter

Batz

Batz said:
I tried braid in the kettle too , I found the same problem with blockages.

I do need to filter the kettle wort as it flows through a C.C.F.W.C. and I belive this could block.

I use a GMK filter idea , differance is I bought a food grade one from a marine place , they are also clear plastic so you can see if the wort is flowing.

I got mine from 'Whitworths" $11.95

http://www.whitworths.com.au

Link too GMK inline filter
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...inline%20filter

Batz
[post="74223"][/post]​

Batz, pardon my ignorance. I have a worth chiller, one could call it a WC but in german that is a water closet or shit house if you like. Mind you, in comparison to a CFWC ( Counterflow worth chiller) it probably is shit house. Sorry, Shiten houser. What is a CCFWC. I have seen it mentioned a couple of times but I thought it might be just a typo. Bugger it, I might have to get one of those as well. This madness is never ending.

:beer:
PeterS....

Peter,
That could possibly be a Counter, counter flow wort chiller. And as we all know, "your not a real brewer, ect, ect" :ph34r: :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew

Hey Peter,

A CCFWC is a Convoluted Counter Flow Wort Chiller.
The internal copper coil is twisted (ie convoluted) providing maximum contact of the wort with the outside of the internal coil providing more efficiency heat transfer.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Hey Peter,

The internal copper coil is twisted (ie convoluted) providing maximum contact of the wort with the outside of the internal coil providing more efficiency heat transfer.

Beers,
Doc
[post="75297"][/post]​

Sorry peter, I wasn't being very helpful, Doc is spot on as always, you Have probably seen pics of them, and you saw the one at Batzs brew day, they are the all copper affair, copper inside copper as apposed to copper inside a plastic hose. See this link for a pic and description http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?produ...7efc8ef7b89a197

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
Doc said:
Hey Peter,

Beers,
Doc
[post="75297"][/post]​

Sorry peter, I wasn't being very helpful, Doc is spot on as always, you Have probably seen pics of them, and you saw the one at Batzs brew day, they are the all copper affair, copper inside copper as apposed to copper inside a plastic hose. See this link for a pic and description http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?produ...7efc8ef7b89a197

Cheers
Andrew
[post="75301"][/post]​

Thank you Doc and Andrew. I am glad I got the answers from you guys first. At least when Batz will say "You are not a real brewer, etc" I will not be shocked... :D With the morebeer prices I just have to be contended with my ordinary chiller for awhile at least, until I run out of ideas. At least I can say I made my chiller ..

PeterS....

Just thought I'd post this.

Used 5 plugs and 10 grams of pellets. It took me 90 mins to run 40 litres to the fermenter! :eek:

Come out as a trickle, however like the tortise with the hare it eventually got there. :lol:

FWIW all that mess is a pickup tube with a copper srubby over the end.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
JUsed 5 plugs and 10 grams of pellets. It took me 90 mins to run 40 litres to the fermenter! :eek:

Come out as a trickle, however like the tortise with the hare it eventually got there. :lol:
[post="75335"][/post]​

I was thinking about this yesterday when I did a brew.

I'm just using a pot with a valve about 2cm off the bottom of the pot, and I drain it VERY slowly to avoid sucking down all the rubbush. But a 2nd valve ~5cm higher up the pot would allow 80% of the wort to be drained very quickly, before switching to a low/slow valve.

Anyone else do this?

Rex.

No scientific data, however that's pure genius. :super:

Absolutely worth a closer look.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Used 5 plugs and 10 grams of pellets. It took me 90 mins to run 40 litres to the fermenter! :eek:

Warren -
[post="75335"][/post]​

just confirms why i use hop bags - soooo much easier & cleaner...
My kettle drains from the centre, so even swirling is of no use...

Was my first foray into plugs for about 5 years Ross. Think I might wait another 5. :lol:

Gee they smell nice though, however the pickup tube is generally 100% hassle free with pellets and usually runs off 40 litres within 20 mins. A little saner. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Rex said:
I was thinking about this yesterday when I did a brew.

I'm just using a pot with a valve about 2cm off the bottom of the pot, and I drain it VERY slowly to avoid sucking down all the rubbush. But a 2nd valve ~5cm higher up the pot would allow 80% of the wort to be drained very quickly, before switching to a low/slow valve.

Anyone else do this?
[post="75339"][/post]​

Asher invented the rotating pickup tube which I stole for my kettle. No pictures handy, but it works well for me
-put a right angle fitting on the nipple inside the kettle
-add a short length of copper pipe with compression fitting, add a screen of your choice if you desire
-point pipe straight up before filling kettle, so inlet is way up and collects only clean wort
-while draining, rotate pipe down with sanitised paddle and decide how far down to keep draining, you can push it onto the bottom and siphon everything if it looks clean, stop early if there is a huge amount of break.

Doc said:
Hey Peter,

Beers,
Doc
[post="75297"][/post]​

And here I was thinking C was for 'curly' (as they all are) :p

C is also for cookie and cookie for me B)

Borret

PeterS said:
AndrewQLD said:
Doc said:
Hey Peter,

Beers,
Doc
[post="75297"][/post]​

Cheers
Andrew
[post="75301"][/post]​

Thank you Doc and Andrew. I am glad I got the answers from you guys first. At least when Batz will say "You are not a real brewer, etc" I will not be shocked... :D With the morebeer prices I just have to be contended with my ordinary chiller for awhile at least, until I run out of ideas. At least I can say I made my chiller ..

PeterS....
[post="75312"][/post]​

Just an update fellows. I have now finished my HERMS system. As soon as I learned what a CCFWC was I had to have one as I used my old Immersion chiller as my Herms coil. I did my first brew on the new system yesterday. It seems it is the way to go, it seems so easy with a March pump and a Temp controller in the HLT. The main problem I encountered was with my CCFWC. I was using a combination of pellet and leaf hops and it clogged in a few minutes. My kettle is an old 60L barrel type keg with an L shaped copper tube pickup. Had no problem before with it but it seems I need to get to Whitworths or Bunnings tomorrow for an inline filter. Hope that will fix the problem.

Cheers.
:chug:
PeterS....

Ducatiboy stu said:
Aint Whitworth a thread size..not a shop....???
[post="85548"][/post]​

We are both correct. In my case, it is a Marine and Leasure shop that stock some items cheaper than Bunnings or some hardware shop. See www.whitwoths.com.au. (One day I might learn how to insert a link here). :)

PeterS....

PeterS said:
Just an update fellows. I have now finished my HERMS system. As soon as I learned what a CCFWC was I had to have one as I used my old Immersion chiller as my Herms coil. I did my first brew on the new system yesterday. It seems it is the way to go, it seems so easy with a March pump and a Temp controller in the HLT. The main problem I encountered was with my CCFWC. I was using a combination of pellet and leaf hops and it clogged in a few minutes. My kettle is an old 60L barrel type keg with an L shaped copper tube pickup. Had no problem before with it but it seems I need to get to Whitworths or Bunnings tomorrow for an inline filter. Hope that will fix the problem.

Cheers.
PeterS....
[post="85537"][/post]​

Peter, hop bags are another easy option...

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back