Ag Equipment Finished

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some nice work there Jye.

But I'm not sure about the title of the thread. I don't believe a brewing system is ever 'finished'. Just progressively more refined.

Borret

I am afraid he's right Jye , I had a braid filter the same as that , great with plugs but big pellet additions clogged it. I was forever knocking it with my paddle to get a flow
Thanks for telling me that now, Im pretty sure I stole the idea from you :D will know in a weeks time how it goes.

welcome to the world of AG Jye - there's no going back - where abouts in Brisbane are you?
Im in Runcorn and get my supplies from the slacks creek HBS, I think I remember reading that you get some grain from there, whats the range like?

But I'm not sure about the title of the thread. I don't believe a brewing system is ever 'finished'. Just progressively more refined.
I was afraid of that :p

Nice setup you have there mate, I am well jealous of your shiny kegs, mine are a bit "weathered" but will do the job no doubt.

What size copper pipe do you guys use for the pick up in the kettle? At the moment I have 1/2 inch will that be big enough?

Jye - Give the braid a go.. It may be OK
Here's a pic of my Kettle taken nearing the end of the pump to fermentors. I ended up using a slotted copper manifold and can pretty well suck the kettle dry if I choose...
I CF Chill by the way.

IMG_1128.jpg

Asher for now

Asher said:
Here's a pic of my Kettle taken nearing the end of the pump to fermentors. I ended up using a slotted copper manifold and can pretty well suck the kettle dry if I choose...
I CF Chill by the way.

View attachment 3411

Asher for now
[post="70789"][/post]​

2 Things with Asher's manifold.

1 It's copper with (I think) the holes on the bottom. Less chance of clogging than braid due to larger holes.

2 Most importantly... Asher has the circumference a lot wider than Jye's taking the manifold away from the centre of the hop sludge.

Still think that Jye is courting disaster with his design. That said it's all just a hunch. :unsure:

Warren -

The ID of the HLT pipe is 16mm and the kettle is 10mm, can not remember what they are in inches :)

Do you think it would be possible to just but a longer piece of ss braided in and then whirlpool to get the hops into the centre away from it?

Would probably be far safer Jye. Batz is more or less speaking from experience. He encountered blockages with the same configuration.

Warren -

Asher said:
I CF Chill by the way.
[post="70789"][/post]​

Hi Asher,
Nice to see the pic in your kettle, after our conversation about kettles last night. Your copper manifold looks pretty high up doesnt it leave a lot in the bottom?

Cheers Ausdb

Jye said:
The ID of the HLT pipe is 16mm and the kettle is 10mm, can not remember what they are in inches :)
[post="70791"][/post]​

5/8" and 3/8" respectivly.
HTH Someone.

Adrian

Jye said:
welcome to the world of AG Jye - there's no going back - where abouts in Brisbane are you?
Im in Runcorn and get my supplies from the slacks creek HBS, I think I remember reading that you get some grain from there, whats the range like?

[post="70673"][/post]​

They have a huge range of grains now......

Cheers Ross, I will be down there tomorrow morning getting supplies for my first brew day on Wednesday...muhahahaha :D

As Borret stated
I don't believe a brewing system is ever 'finished'

Here is the addition of the burner :beerbang:

DCP01868.JPG

DCP01871.JPG

DCP01870.JPG

Well it happened today...the kettle got clogged with hops (9 plugs of cascade doing a SFPA) with about 2 L of wort left. I eventually got it out by pushing the hops around, what a pita :angry: but it looks like I will be taking the braid out and replacing it.

Thanks for the heads up guys :p

PS I will be kegging the first AG APA on Wednesday :beerbang:

Jye said:
Well it happened today...the kettle got clogged with hops (9 plugs of cascade doing a SFPA) with about 2 L of wort left. I eventually got it out by pushing the hops around, what a pita :angry: but it looks like I will be taking the braid out and replacing it.

Thanks for the heads up guys :p

PS I will be kegging the first AG APA on Wednesday :beerbang:
[post="74165"][/post]​

I had that happen too last Saturday :(

Ausdb

Hi there, your boiler looks the goods. Bummer it clogged. FWIW I don't use any filter in my kettle and have no problems, it's not an essential piece of equipment having a filter.

A quick question though, how did your burner go getting a good boil? It just looks like there isn't much space between the bottom of the keg rim for the exhaust fumes and heat to escape. Looks like a pretty good seal there considering how hard those burners are supposed to run. I just would have thought they'd need a bit more of a gap to vent the heat and stuff. If it works fine then no real worries but if you found your boil lacking a bit then this may be a problem. Just thought I'd comment.

We all have teething problems, wouldn't be fun without them hey ;). It'd all be too easy :p :D

Cheers, Justin

Jye said:

Thanks for the heads up guys

PS I will be kegging the first AG APA on Wednesday
[post="74165"][/post]​

Justin,

Wholeheartedly agree. It's easy to become obsessed with crystal clear wort hitting the fermenters. IMO it's not totally necessary though.

Jye,

I would hate to say I told you so. Those braids are just a blockage waiting to happen. The surface area that allows the liquid to pass through would be very sensitive to fines and sludge. :(

It's probably a good idea not to be too hung up on how much muck makes it through to your fermenters (within reason).

For plugs I would just have gone with a plain pickup tube and maybe pushing a copper or S/S scourer over the end. This works as a pretty good trap to stop hop leaves filtering through. No good for pellets though. Just a plain tube and whirlpool works best here. :beerbang:

Don't worry Jye, main thing is your beer made it through in tact. Things could have been worse.

Warren -

yep braid can be a pain.what im using at the moment quite successfully is ss screen.kinda like fly screen but a tad larger.cut it from one of those cheap strainers you can get at woolies.
worth a shot to keep some of the debri out.

cheers
big d

Justin, I never thought to leave a gap <_< ... it is probably a good idea but at the moment I am getting a good boil by the time the sparge goes in (batch sparging) so I am happy with its performance.

I would hate to say I told you so

Go ahead you can say it :p

Cheers
Jye :beer:

Latest posts

Back