Advice using fresh hops in secondary please?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatC

Reaction score
Hi guys any advice please using fresh hops picked straight off and throwing them in? Got so many and need to try and use as much as I can. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1426155275.347328.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1426155292.576786.jpg

I have no idea what the results are but I dropped 90gms wet each into an APA and an IPA last weekend. Both brews already had over 100gms of hop pellets so not sure how much more it'll add.

I put them into the fermenter loose, all chopped up, and poured the wort in on top.

I'm going to do the same this weekend with a single hop, Chinook, APA. Pellets in early for bittering and flowers in late for aroma/flavour.

EDIT: fixed terrible spelling

Nice work.. For my wet ales I bitter with pellet for IBU, then load up with fresh hops at around 10 mins and flame out/whirlpool. I use as recommended by Sierra Nevada, 8 times the weight of dry. So for my 50l harvest pale I'll do, from memory, 2 to 3 additions, each of roughly 200g wet hops. Cascade work nicely at this amount. Load them up if you like hops. Will check my recipes later to confirm.

Just be wary of using them loose in the fermenter - they can clog up the tap and/or siphon pretty easily...

Latest posts

Back