Adding Chocolate To A Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If wikipedia is to be believed:

"To make 1 kg (2.2 pounds) of chocolate, about 300 to 600 beans are processed, depending on the desired cocoa content. In a factory, the beans are roasted. Next they are cracked and then de-shelled by a "winnower". The resulting pieces of beans are called nibs. Cocoa nibs are the dry-roasted pieces of the cocoa bean.

That's as much as I know ST.

It's the bean after it has been fermented, dried, cracked and winnowed.

I use a pure cocoa powder in my choc coffee porter which came out quite nice.
Being a Coffeesnob (http://www.coffeesnobs.com.au) I buy my green coffee beans from there as well as their very nice cocoas.

Being pure cocoa, there are no extra sweetners, vegetable fats etc added. It also makes a great hot choc or mocha when mixed with some sweetner of your choice.
There are a couple of varieties available on the site, I tend to like the Double Dutch one best.

Pretty sure they had the nibs there too, but they must be out.
Coffeesnobs Beanbay Store

I used 250g straight cocoa in a poor clone attempt at a Young's double choc stout last year, but honestly can't say it brought a lot to the party. The chocolate malt dominated without question.

Fourstar, how many grams of nibs did you use for a batch (and what's your batch size)?

Am I missing something or is the link to that recipe already in this thread?

I used 250g straight cocoa in a poor clone attempt at a Young's double choc stout last year, but honestly can't say it brought a lot to the party. The chocolate malt dominated without question.

Fourstar, how many grams of nibs did you use for a batch (and what's your batch size)?
Fourstar's recipe uses 50g of nibs.

I suppose my interest is where in the gourd do these come from - or is it bits of the dried flesh itself ?

The Nib is simply the seed from a cocoa plant pod like a coffee bean is the seed inside the berry.

Latest posts

Back