Adding chili powder to already fermented APA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hey all

I've got about 40L of an APA that's finished fermenting and is ready to be kegged and I want to add some chili powder to it.

Should I a) add the amount of chili I think is enough to the entire batch - or b) only keg ~20L of it with chili and if it's too hot, add a couple more litres of beer to water it down, or if it's not hot enough, add some more chili powder

Has anyone experimented with adding chili powder to an already fermented beer before? Should I add it to the top of the fermenter and let it sit for a few days/weeks before kegging, or add the powder to the keg and poor the beer over the top of it?

Tips?

Cheers
Hunt

I'd be boiling it up in a small amount of water then kegging on top of it.

Actually, no I wouldn't - I'd be keeping chili powder the hell away from my beer. But that might just be me - if so, then boiling is an idea.

bum said:

Actually, no I wouldn't - I'd be keeping chili powder the hell away from my beer. But that might just be me - if so, then boiling is an idea.
haha yeah chili isn't everyone's thing - but I love it and have some great plants that produce some great fruit :)
Why not combine two things I love - chili and beer haha

ok I'll do the boiling thing to sterilise it first - cheers!

bum said:

I'm with bum, keep the chilli for the plate, then wash it down with an APA. :chug:

Don't get me wrong. I've used chilies in ginger beers and had a very nice chili wine before but an APA seems like the last place I'd put chili (well, maybe second last...). The thing about a good APA is the subtle caramel and the forward hops but I feel like chili might trample all over both.

Yeah I love chilli but in an APA...

After boiling it in some water, I'd be adding a very small amount in say a litre of beer, when you get the taste right, scale up.

Why stop there?, add some chorizo, garlic and pasta and you have a meal and a beer all at once. Think of how much chewing you'll save!

mje1980 said:
Why stop there?, add some chorizo, garlic and pasta and you have a meal and a beer all at once. Think of how much chewing you'll save!
and some mylanta to save you having to pour a separate glass afterwards

I'm with bum and others.

If you are going to do it, be careful. Think of your chosen amount of chilli and then halve it. 40 litres of beer you struggle to drink would suck.

Have a go, that's how you learn about flavours, but I'm thinking a low hopped blonde ale or crisp lager would be a better partner with the sting of chilli.

Love chilli but the few commercial examples I've had were horrible and certainly didn't encourage me to brew it.

The apa I made is pretty lightly hopped to be honest. Possibly a little off style but I brewed it with the intention of it being a light 'for everybody' type of beer.

Maybe I'll do a small amount and see how it goes.

That's for the positive comments haha

Back