Add late chocolate to American Dry Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superoo

Reaction score
G'day to All,

I'm about to put a "Rogue Shakespeare Stout" clone into secondary, and would like to split some off to add some chocolate.

I was wondering if simply adding a chocolate flavoured liquour would be the simplest way.

I was thinking of adding something like a third of a cup to 4 Litres for secondary.

I would add it when bottling but am concerned with then guessing correct carbonation etc.

4 questions...
1- Does that amount sound ok (⅓ cup to 4 Litres) ?
2- Are there any glaring reasons I shouldn't do this ?
3- Any suggestions for a suitable liquour or product to add for a nice chic flavour ?
4- Edit: Dan Murphys has a few of these sort of things, would they be suitable ?
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_ER_1000002957_1URBMCHOC/urban-moonshine-chocolate-love-tonic-59ml

Any of your thoughts / previous experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

I've found cocoa nibs give the best real choc flavour. You can pick them up from organic/whole food shops. I roasted and add mine to secondary for 9 days. Amount will vary depending on base beer, alcohol etc. Dr Google should give you a good idea what others have done in a similar beer.

Haven't done the liquor but have tried flavouring which gave a very pretend choc flavour

I'm big on the roasted nibs too unless you want sweet chocolate.

Buy a small bottle of mozarts black or similar and add gently to a glass of the stout to see if it will work and in what proportion.

Superoo said:
I was wondering if simply adding a chocolate flavoured liquour would be the simplest way.

I was thinking of adding something like a third of a cup to 4 Litres for secondary.

I would add it when bottling but am concerned with then guessing correct carbonation etc.

4 questions...
1- Does that amount sound ok (⅓ cup to 4 Litres) ?
2- Are there any glaring reasons I shouldn't do this ?
If you add liquor, you add alcohol and then you reduce the likelihood the yeast will carbonate your beer. Just be mindful of adding alcohol to your brew.

As far as the product you looked at from Dan Murphys. The Sexual health thing??? I'd use the chocolate nibs the others have suggested.

Yeah if you add liquor - add to the keg or soak something like oak chips in it, then add the chips (steamed and/or toasted first).

Latest posts

Back