Add all or just some of the extract when doing a full boil brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootlegnjack

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought a 40L urn and looking forward to doing some stuff beyond the normal Kit and Kilo. I've hit a recipe on beersmith that I like and it has about 3kg DME overall but it adds only 1kg at the start with the bittering hops then adds the other 2kg at 20min? I'm wondering why .... wouldn't it be best to add the whole lot so the bittering goes well or are there reasons like colouring that he holds off on the rest of the DME until later? Recipe timings are pasted below, cheers:

0 min - Add Ingredients 1.00 kg - Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) - [Dry Extract]
5 min - Add Ingredients 30.08 g - Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Boil 55.0 min - [Hop]
20 min - Add Ingredients 2.01 kg - Light Dry Extract [Boil for 40 min](15.8 EBC) - [Dry Extract]
45 min - Add Ingredients 10.03 g - Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min - [Hop]
1:00 hour - End of Boil 1:00 hour - Steep Aroma Hops 10.03 g - Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min - [Hop]
1:30 hours - End of Steep/Aroma Phase

If you have the capacity, you are best off using it. All the other stuff is a workaround for less equipment or equipment with limited volume capacity. Also chilling a large volume is a factor but no chill takes care of that.

Basically 3kg in 5L of water would give very different bittering to 3kg in 25L. If you can do 25L, do that. Use software or formulae (if you know them) to calculate ibu.

Sweet thanks, by no chill do you mean throw it in a cube straight from the boil till it cools? because that's what the guy at the brew store gave me as an alternative as I don't have the money for a chiller at the moment.

Back