ACT Small Brewers Festival

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Wort

Reaction score
This event is about showcasing the craft beers and ciders made by the small breweries located around Australia. We try and find the beers that the Canberra public have never heard of before. Great beer, great food, great music, awesome festival!
11:30am - 6:00pm Sat, 28th Sep, 2013
http://www.epic.act.gov.au/events/whats_on/small-brewers-beer-festival

Has anyone been to this before? Is it any good? Is it similar to the Craft Festival (link)? Anyone going this time?

It looks like the last one was worthwhile, the Botanic Gardens would be a great venue:

http://drunkenspeculation.com/2013/03/13/wf-canberra-small-brewers-festival/

Tried to go last year which was there first, but it was sold out. The reports I heard were mixed but most criticism was about logistics and having more punters than they expected. The Gardens could not cope, hence the move to epic. Hopefully they will not have the same issues and it will be a good festival. It is run by different people to the Craft Beer festival and probably won't have the big breweries craft brands there, hence small brewers festival.

Price is $38 but includes 10 "tasting tokens" which I assume means 30ml paper cups or something.

The Canberra Craft Beer festival was more miss than hit IMHO. A lot of average beers. A lot of faux craft. A few infected beers. Some good beers. I made the comparison of going to a "fine food" festival and having half of the stands selling maccas.

"Some of this years breweries include Riverside Brewing, Dad and Dave Brewery, Mornington Peninsula Brewery, Pinchgut Brewery, Dalgety Brewing, Cavalier Brewing, Black Duck Brewing, Swell Brewing, Murrays Brewing Company and many more." Some good and some...interesting brewers there.

There's some other things materialising for a big week of beer in November, but that's someone else's thunder, so stay tuned...

Mr. No-Tip said:
The Canberra Craft Beer festival was more miss than hit IMHO. A lot of average beers. A lot of faux craft. A few infected beers. Some good beers. I made the comparison of going to a "fine food" festival and having half of the stands selling maccas.
I really enjoyed last year at the Botanical Gardens. Definitely more people than they expected, which just meant longer lines and faster sell-outs. I'm surprised to hear there were infected beers, I never came across one but I didn't get around to every beer. I think the move to EPIC this year is a smart idea, but sadly I missed the festival.

Latest posts

Back