About To Start Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycotic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been lurking for a while. Finally I have collected enough gear to start my first AG. I have found a couple of recipes that I might like. I have tried a number of Aussie sites hopping one of our locals could supply the grains. If the grains are not available here can I substitute the recommended grains for something else without losing the taste?

Below is a list of grains/ extracts required

Belgian Caramel Munich Malt
Belgian Caramel Vienna Malt
Extract - Light Liquid Malt Extract
Extract - Light Dried Malt Extract

Or

German Pilsner Malt
UK Flaked Rice
Australian Caramalt

TIA

Hi CyC0, put your location in and [I am sure] someone close can help you out doing your first AG.
Also, what are you trying to make with the above?

Try the sponsors up the top of the page. They have lots of grain to choose from and deliver very quickly

yes I have tried them from what I can see they don't sell the specific named grains. I have purchased items from the sponsors previously.

Can help a little with where grains come from (Lifted from top of grain page at Craftbrewer)

BARRETT BURSTON - AUS.

JOE WHITE MALT - AUS.

WEYERMANN MALT - GER.

BLUE LAKE - AUSTRALIAN

BAIRDS MALT - BRITISH

THOMAS FAWCETT - BRITISH

So for Aus carmalt, you can try Barrett Burston, Joe White or Blue Lake.

You should be able to substitute some of the Weyermann for the Belgian malt, but I'm not sure which malts were equivalent.

Belgian Caramel Munich Malt = caramunich 1
Belgian Caramel Vienna Malt = caravienne, but sub light crystal, probably 20-30Lov
German pilsner= weyermann pilsner
and as for the flaked rice....country of origin makes no difference imho.

Let me guess....the recipes are american in origin? (113g is suspiciously close to 4oz ;) )
A lot of american recipes state a country of origin on the grain bill, not because that country has superior grain, but because so much of the US grain is inferior. Any Euro or Aus equivilant would be fine.

thanks guys for that I will give it a go and order some grain.

Yes the recipes are Yankie, got them from monkeybrewer I think

Back