Aaargh Broken Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a fridge like the one Doc has in this thread. Got it secondhand about 5 - 6 weekas ago. Everything was going fine till today. I have noticed that it lets the temp get up to about 10-12 deg c before starting to cool again. Then it will start working and cool down to about 4 deg c. The cooler thing on top totally loses all the ice on it.
Damn!! :angry: :angry: this will put the operation back a fair bit. Is there anyone that can offer any advice on this?
Any of the Melb brewers Fridgeys or know any that may be able to help.

cheers

I'm not a fridgey and I'm only guessing but I wonder if you have a dodgey thermostat. It sounds like it's turn on point is a bit stuffed. Do you know anyone with a gro-warm controller that you could wire in to test it. The fact that it cools to 4oC suggests that the cooling capabilities of the fridge are fine and that it's just a temperature control problem that's giving you grief.

What happens when you turn the thermostat right down? Does it get really cold? Then warm up again? If you have the goolies to do it and trust your electrical skills, take the two wires that go into the thermostat and join them (temporarily) and see if your fridge just keeps getting colder. (essentially your just taking the switch out of the circuit and hence it should stay on and just keep getting colder). The compressor should just keep running until you turn the fridge off. Note: I haven't done this and I can't be 100% certain that this is a good thing to do but in theory a thermostat is just a switch hence you should be able to just bypass it as outlined above with no detriment. Simple electronics.

Anyway, my bet is the thermostat. You could take the thermostat out, join the wires together and then just use an external thermostat to run it. Or if it allows, just turn the fridge thermostat to it's coldest setting and use the external thermostat to run it.

Cheers, Justin

Faaarrrrrk, my keg fridge has repeated itself and lost its gas.
Anyone know a fridgy in Sydney that can re-gas a fridge using the old gas ?

PM or email me via AHB.

Big big big thanks in advance,
Doc

My Keg frigde lives.
Managed to find a fridgy to come and fix it.
Here is the weird part (no offence meant to any tradesmen here), the guy came on time, on a Saturday, did what he said he would do on the phone, for the price he quoted over the phone.
Fantastic.
It was made easier by the fact my fridge (Westinghouse Freezamate 381) has the pipework exposed in the top of the fridge. If the pipework was in the wall of the fridge I would have been stuffed. From memory Johnno you have the same fridge, so it is a great choice for a keg fridge.
A number of other guys I rang didn't want to even touch it or were going to charge me $250 at least.
So some pipework replaced and fridge regassed, and cold beer back on tap.

There is god.

Beers,
Doc

PS: If anyone is looking for a good fridgy in Sydney call Alan from Alans Refrigeration Repairs on 9686 6615 or 0419 257 098. He is a nice guy too.

Doc,
Any chance of telling us how much it cost. Especially the regas as I reckon mine needs one.
I just love the fascination rugrats have with fridges!! They love to open and leave em open. My bunch anyway.

cheers

THis is where i scream...

I had exactly the same problem as Doc with my "beer fridge to be" a few months ago. Strangely enough, i think it was exactly the same model :)

Anway, rang a fridge fixit man who told me it wouldn't be worth fixing, so i ditched it, and currently don't have a frige to put any kegs in or cc.

Not happy jan :angry:

All up was $150 incl GST.
That covered the guy coming to my place on a Saturday. Removing the pitted cooling tube and replacing. Did a vacumn leak test. Installed a new filter. Vacumm sealed the system and installed new gas. All done in 2 hours.

Doc

Back