A Very Short But Oh So Sweet Sydney Brew Pub Tour W/pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
The missus and I just got back from the Bon Jovi concert at the SFS, Friday night. We got are ankle biter babysat for a couple of days so we decided we would spend the night before in Sydney as well.

The missus wanted to stay in mystery 5 Star accomodation. We ended up up with a place called the Observatory Hotel in The Rocks for $220 for the night (cheapest room normally $495). Well bugger me it was like staying in BuckingHUGE, I mean Buckingham Palace.

Anyway on with the real reason for the story. I remembered Hart's Pub was in the Rock's and sussed out how far from the Hotel it was and dropped in for a sample paddle. Here are the pics:-

med_gallery_7556_723_47577.jpg

This is their beer menu

med_gallery_7556_723_148644.jpg

Happy much?

This is me with my sample paddle (from left to right) Byrne's Red Ale-Rock's Brewing, Governor's Ale-Rock's Brewing, Cribb's Porter-Rock's Brewing and Three Sheets Pale Ale-Lord Nelson Brewery

I'm no beer judge, so I won't even try to describe the beers, I will say they were all NICE!!!

That night we went for dinner into town and walked home and 250 metres up the road from our Hotel I stumbled upon this (sorry about my crappy mobile phone images):-
med_gallery_7556_723_184062.jpg

Lord Nelson Hotel!!!!!!!!!!

med_gallery_7556_723_281558.jpg

med_gallery_7556_723_292648.jpg

med_gallery_7556_723_415225.jpg

med_gallery_7556_723_239834.jpg

med_gallery_7556_723_9912.jpg

med_gallery_7556_723_392806.jpg

med_gallery_7556_723_351015.jpg

I got there late I managed to squeeze in a quick 4 1/2 pints before last drinks were called.

med_gallery_7556_723_42187.jpg

Quayle Ale

med_gallery_7556_723_267915.jpg

Nelson's Blood

med_gallery_7556_723_205995.jpg

Victory Bitter

med_gallery_7556_723_64898.jpg

Three Sheets (so damn yummy forgot to take photo till after first sip)

Once again all beers tried were fantastic, pity I didn't get there earlier.

Anyway, that was my short but sweet Sydney brew pub tour and plans are in the making for a larger, more comprehensive tour.

Guys n gals if you are ever in Sydney near the Rocks with some time on your hands, head over to these two pubs, if only to sample some of their fine handy work.

"Guys n gals if you are ever in Sydney near the Rocks with some time on your hands, head over to these two pubs, if only to sample some of their fine handy work."

And in less than ten minutes walk you can add the micro "REDOAK" as well... ;-)

I haven't been to the Lord Nelson for about 4 years, great spot. I'll be in Sydney in Feb and I will be traveling to Manly by ferry from Circular Quay. I think I might have to pop in on the way :p

I haven't been to the Lord Nelson for about 4 years, great spot. I'll be in Sydney in Feb and I will be traveling to Manly by ferry from Circular Quay. I think I might have to pop in on the way :p

Don't forget to stop in for a paddle at 4 Pines brewery in Manly, highly recommended!

Yeah, Lord nelson is awesome too...

Glad you enjoyed Harts mate ...

You didn't have an Old Admiral? Dude... you missed out! Well kinda anyway...;) Great part of Sydney in the Rocks. Harts always has a new and fantastic line up and the old faithfulls at the Nelson are awesome

Glad you enjoyed Harts mate ...

Was a cool pub. Great atmosphere, sat in the little room with the fireplace reading Homebrewer magazine whilst tasting your yummy beers.

Only wish you had more of your own beers on tap and much more time to sample them.

Was a cool pub. Great atmosphere, sat in the little room with the fireplace reading Homebrewer magazine whilst tasting your yummy beers.

Only wish you had more of your own beers on tap and much more time to sample them.

Pale will be back this week and i have some plans afoot for an increased number of seasonal and different beers. Cant wait to start making those. How was Bon Jovi, saw them on the slippery when wet tour lord knows how long ago ...

Scotty

You didn't have an Old Admiral? Dude... you missed out! Well kinda anyway...;) Great part of Sydney in the Rocks. Harts always has a new and fantastic line up and the old faithfulls at the Nelson are awesome

I was lucky to get what I got. The last two I got after last drinks were called. My plan was to have all 6 brewed on premise beers and then maybe a Chimay nightcap.

Oh well, had to settle for a quick 4 1/2 pints and a nightcap of a longneck of a UK Brown, brewed by me, back at the hotel :chug: (Beggers can't choosers)

Schooey, maybe HUB should organise a Brew Pub bus trip weekend in Sydney???

Pale will be back this week and i have some plans afoot for an increased number of seasonal and different beers. Cant wait to start making those. How was Bon Jovi, saw them on the slippery when wet tour lord knows how long ago ...

Scotty

No dramas on the Pale, I'll be back, maybe not soon but I'll be back.

Bon Jovi rocked.
Mrs is a massive fan and I'm an old fan from back in the Slippery days.

med_gallery_7556_723_116756.jpg

Schooey, maybe HUB should organise a Brew Pub bus trip weekend in Sydney???

The idea has been bandied about, BB, along with an overnighter to Canberra for a session at the Wig & Pen and Zierholts... watch this space!

Latest posts

Back