A Program I Made To Help Ahb'ers.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seravitae

Reaction score
Okay so i like taking lots of photos on my camera of stages of creation of my brewing setups, and just for posting stuff on these and other forums.

However one annoying thing is having to take like 10-15 photos, resize them, and then choose which ones to upload, then upload them all, then link them all into the forum post! To stop this, i just spent a few hours coding a small windows program which has a VERY simple job:

Drag 1 image onto the program and it will let you resize it to 320x240, 640x480, or 1024x768. I think these are decent sizes for posting on forums, especially the middle one. These resolutions were picked due to aspect ratio - photos straight off most digital cameras will resize without the image looking 'squished'.

Drag 2 or more images onto the program and here's where the magic begins. It

will resize all images, then it will create a NEW image, which has all the images top to bottom inside it. So you only have to post one image to the forum!.

To show an example of the output i took a photo of some hops scales i got, 3 images in total. Dragging the 3 images onto the program and hitting 320x240 outputs this single collage image:

testoutput.jpg

Another cool feature: In windows vista, press the windows key on your keyboard and "R" at the same time and you'll get a dialog box saying "Run". In the "Open:" box type this:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

It will open up a folder. Copy or move the JpegCollage program into this folder. Now, instead of having to move your images to the same folder as the JpegCollage program, just select the images you want, right click on any one of them and go to the "Send To.." menu, and click on JpegCollage program. It will drop your collage image in the current folder, so you can make a collage without moving images anywhere. :)

The program is very small and written in .net 3.5. It is simple enough that you should not get any errors. if you do please post them here and i will attempt to fix them. However please make sure you have .NET framework 3.5 installed before reporting errors.

The prorgam can be found here:

JpegCollage

It has been virus scanned with AVG Free and found to be 100% clean, this is a legitimate program, if your virus scanner reports a virus notify me immediately so I can investigate.

If and when I have time i will add more features (before you ask, yes i will hopefully add a feature called "Don't resize" which collages the images into one image without resizing)

cheers

ps: since i can only really post it in off-topic, but its probably handy to a lot of people, if you like this program maybe next time you use it on the forum point out that the program is available in here so others can benefit.

Hey Sera,

Sounds like a great little app.
I would give it a go, but today I'm on my work lappy (Ubuntu 8.10) so the .NET dependency is a problem.

Beers,
Doc

Sounds bl00dy brilliant.

Well done, will be giving this a go tonight once I get home. Cant install exe's at work.

Beers!

Im confused - why not just use the windows powertools program which already does this and is a free download?
Or host the images on something like photo bucket which has a built in reducer?
Or download one of the other 100 or so photo resizers with right click resizing available

indesign and illistrator also has the same inbuilt feature on both the mac and PC versions. but of course you have to own those programs.

good work sera

Hi all,
Doc, Ducatiboy_stu & fellow linuxers:
I have that same Ubuntu problem (mine's still 8.04), but with it being .NET I thought it might run under mono, alas it has VB (I think?) and falls over. Dang...
rdevjun@rdev-svr:~$ mono /home/rdevjun/Desktop/JpegCollage.exe

** (/home/rdevjun/Desktop/JpegCollage.exe:6918): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /home/rdevjun/Desktop/JpegCollage.exe could not be loaded:
Assembly: Microsoft.VisualBasic (assemblyref_index=1)
Version: 8.0.0.0
Public Key: b03f5f7f11d50a3a
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/rdevjun/Desktop).

Its a good while since I've programmed, so I'm a bit rusty, but apparently:
"Unfortunately mono doesn't support VB, so it is undesireable for use in ASP.net which should always use the VB language for web development. " from some blog. That's perplexing, to say the least...

A few things I've had success with under mono, some not, so YMMV. OT: Thanks goodness for, ironically, wine- it runs Return To Castle Wolfenstein much better than XP! No hangs or crashes and fast too. Don't really need XP boxes anymore, but, I still have one for spousie and old times' sake... /OT

Anyway, thanks sera, nice idea and I can certainly see your program's utility, but its not much use to us folks using Linux (there seem to be more here than I'd originally thought!). I'd imagine there's plenty of other ways for us to skin the imaging cat, if need be. I don't really need to but others might want to sniff something out.

Im confused - why not just use the windows powertools program which already does this and is a free download?
Or host the images on something like photo bucket which has a built in reducer?
Or download one of the other 100 or so photo resizers with right click resizing available

The powertools app doesn't merge different images into one file like the above does.

If you've got photoshop you can make a droplet to do the same thing.

Gotta love Ubuntu! I mean no disrespect to you or your program, but for linux folk, this is done in 2 lines of command. One to install free software...

Code:
sudo apt-get install imagemagick
and another to do image processing (resize, montage, save);

Code:
montage -geometry 640x480 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg -tile 1x3 montage.jpg

I (rather sloppily) cut up the output you posted, saved the three files as 1.jpg, 2.jpg, and 3.jpg, then ran this second line. There are hundreds more options, but I'm a little busy to show them all off. This particular line of code can add a background, border, filenames and watermark, just to name a few useful ones.

My output, montage.jpg ;

montage.jpg

ImageMagick works on Windows too if anyone is interested.

In fact sera, I'd recommend making a 'front end' for ImageMagick if you want to go a step further. Basically make a GUI tool that calls the command line app. You could have configurable options to select from in the right click menu, ie 'montage', 'resize only', 'compress only', 'convert to jpg', 'convert to png'

Gotta love Ubuntu! I mean no disrespect to you or your program, but for linux folk, this is done in 2 lines of command. One to install free software...

Code:

Code:

I (rather sloppily) cut up the output you posted, saved the three files as 1.jpg, 2.jpg, and 3.jpg, then ran this second line. There are hundreds more options, but I'm a little busy to show them all off. This particular line of code can add a background, border, filenames and watermark, just to name a few useful ones.
<snip>
See? In a little under two hours and already there's one very simple and elegant alternative done and dusted. So, kudos & great work QuantumBrewer! I knew there would be an easy way- I'm sure there would be dozens of other methods (Gimp maybe?) and no faffing around with mono, wine or any such tripe (good, useful applications they are though). And all of that from the command line- Linux is just so versatile it amazes me just about every day. Sweet. ^_^

But, sera, please don't be deterred- there will always be a userbase for this type of application and there's already ideas for v2 I see. Goodonya for having a go & well done so far! Oh, and sorry to take your post so far Off Topic- a thousand pardons...

thanks for the comments guys. not deterred.. I know you can do this in nix a lot easier than windows, believe it or not my first port of call was to look up ImageMagick however i got deterred because I'm not terribly good with C and that was, i think, the only framework for IM that I recognised. So i just hacked up that little app to suit my own needs, but thought i'd post it in case anyone could use it. :)

if there is a port for montage or imagemagick to windows then i'd prefer to just do the GUI stuff in .net and let imagemagik do the actual work. i'll have to look into it when i have time.

i really wish i was at home enjoying a cold one right about now..

I found that the program created the file here on my PC:

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)

Nice work Sera. Will be using this as required!

Beers!

:icon_offtopic: It is pretty humid in Adelaide today, check out the condensation on my celli tap... (I dare say this is pretty normal in Sydney and further north?

taps1.jpg

interesting, the image appeared *directly* in there? Did that happen when you used it in the "send to" folder or just in any folder?
It should do it in whatever the current folder is, so i'll look into that. i think i know whats causing it. What OS are you running?

Code:

Code:

My output, montage.jpg ;

:)

Try going THAT in windows.... :D

Mmmm Wolfenstien in wine I gota give that a go... B)

:icon_offtopic: +++
Try going THAT in windows.... :D
Absolutely! I've been with *nix one way or another since slackware came as 10 floppies or even, if you were real lucky, just 1 root floppy, no proxy, a friendly work ftp gateway and all night to 'make config' a fresh kernel! Happy days... But, nowadays, this sort of two- liner amazes me. It really shouldn't though- its been around long enough and is developing well beyond its years.
Mmmm Wolfenstien in wine I gota give that a go... B)
Yep, if you have it already installed on a windows partition, its prob easier. Just mount it as an ntfs and set up the app under wine, or even just a script:
cd /media/sdb1/Program\ Files/Return\ to\ Castle\ Wolfenstein/
wine ./WolfSP.exe &

I avoid running installs under wine, can be done though (Promash trial is one I did successfully of late!). I've never crashed winewolf, and it worked first time which really frightened me. Then I had to deal with the baddie at the end...

MM...

I just copied the whole promash into wine... B)

Wolf will be a fresh torrent....

God damn...I never was a gamer since Zork III

MM...

I just copied the whole promash into wine... B)

Wolf will be a fresh torrent....

God damn...I never was a gamer since Zork III
Cool- I DLed ProMash in my ubuntu box so figured I may as well try the install under wine and it was just peachey! Don't use it much (am too scabby to licence just now :( ), there's a heap of good useful reference material in the trial though. For qbrew, which sorta does what I want at this stage.

RtCW is getting dated, but just fine when you need an escape button and quasi-nazi baddies need to pop up in your scope. Once there were plenty of torrents, let me know if you're stuck.

Zork III? Wow, it reminds me of the pdp & vax d&d games my father used to entertain us with as what would today be called childcare at uni when he worked there in the mid- late 70s! Nice, some excellent familial memorabilia! Thanks!

Back