A Place To Get Cheap 30 Liter Kettles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretbrner

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can pick up inexpensive Stainless kettles from? something around 30 or 40 liters. I know Big W has 19 liter stock pots for $20. Is there anywhere that has an extra 11 for just a bit more? Maybe an Asian market hidden away or a mom and pop store or online?

Thanks

Are the 19 litre pots any good though? ie how thick is the base and does it have a copper core?

I went through this dilemma last month. I ended up getting a 40l aluminium from ebay for about $85. Seems like it'll do the trick.

Believe me, i looked everywhere and tried to suss all the options- i'm a student with no money, so i spent a fair while researching the cheapest options.

If you want SS, its going to be expensive. Much better quality, but you pay for it. I'd have prefered SS, but didnt have the coin.

If you hang on for long enough you might get lucky at a garage sale or gumtree, trading post etc.

Out of the options, for me it came down to either a keggle conversion or getting aluminium. Kegs are pretty hard to get legally though, so i went to fleabay.

I dont know what your budget is, but in short, you're gonna have to pay a bit for it. Not really a cheap (and legal) option as far as i can see.

BCF have some interesting sub $100 al pots with crab cooker inserts included. Go get a membership card and the next time you go buy stuff get 20% off everything on that one visit. Membership costs nothing.

BCF have some interesting sub $100 al pots with crab cooker inserts included. Go get a membership card and the next time you go buy stuff get 20% off everything on that one visit. Membership costs nothing.

If these are the 30Lt primus ones (they come in a white box with black pictures and stand out really obviously) then i have one of them for my single batches so i don't have to get out the keggle.

They work really well, put a ball valve into them and bob's your uncles brother....

The 19L big double ewe is an excellent buy for stovetop BIAB as a low- risk starter method for All- Grain (link below in sig), the base thickness, or rather thin-ness is of no consequence and the handles are adequate. 70 batches through mine and still going strong, one placed at QABC 2010, so I really can't complain. However, if you're certain about what you're doing with it then a bigger one should indeed be worthwhile.

If you're not in a rush just keep your eyes on the second hand clearance sales. I picked my 40ltr urn up from an Apex club clear out for only $30 and they had others for sale at the time. She works beautifully too :D

Latest posts

Back