A Brw Day To Remember

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayr

Reaction score
Did my 50th brew yesterday. thought i'd make it something special...a belgian quadrupel.
should be a good day, what could possibly go wrong?

first drama didn't take long as my urn was heating up the water the adapter managed to melt itself into the socket and short out the house. bit of a set bacck, but i persevere. Heated up the water in my kettle instead and used smaller pots for sparging.

when the mash did come to a close i was delighted to find i had a stuck mash, never happened before so i was a bit shitting myself. had a mate help me empty my mash tun to fix up my false bottom/tap fittings to get it running again. old murphy was in force that day and a second stuck mash soon ensued. yay.

got that fixed and it was on to sparging. never done a brew with such an ambitious expected OG before (about 1.100) and after sparging what i needed pre-boil, it was still coming out at 1.040. keep sparging i thought and i'll boil it off. when i was done and the run off finally got down to about 1.015 i had over 45 litres of wort for a batch to be 23 litres. for this i split the batch in to 2 pots. one i had slowly coming to the boil on my stove inside while 20 litres i put on my big new outdoor burner to hopefully bring it down to a useable quantity.

turn out my brand new burner has a small leak where the manufacturer welded the burner to the stand. in finding out this fun fact i was able to lose my left eyebrow....going good.

after sorting that out i was eventually able to burn the 20 litres down to about 3 litres in about 2 to 3 hours...those burners are seriously strong. when i was done it was almost the consistency of liquid malt extract. anyway i added this back to the rest of the wort and finished up the brew as usual.

quite a day. turned my usual 7 hour brew day into 11 hours of havoc.did manage to finish with exactly 23 litres and an OG of 1.095, not too far under my target 75% efficiency.

so that's my tale of my first real brew day gone bad.

the lesson, don't use a cheap japanese adapter for your hot liquor tank.

murray

thing_001.jpg

No pics of the lost eyebrow!? Ouchy.

Sounds like a brew to bottle for a long time - and reminisce over the pain of making it.

20L down to 3L sounds like you are making wort with a thicky honey consistency!

Good luck for brew #51... :icon_cheers:

hats off to you for persisting. i probably would of cracked the shits and thrown the whole mash on the garden and got so pissed i forgot about the whole shamozzle.

hats off to you for persisting. i probably would of cracked the shits and thrown the whole mash on the garden and got so pissed i forgot about the whole shamozzle.

HAhahaha +1

Nice story though. :lol:

oh no ! These series of tests that you are enduring means that the final beer will be outstanding. Agreed with the post above, this batch should be for cellaring, and special occasion drinking.

that volcano you have, if you run a pvc tube from the hole into a bucket of water, instead of the air lock you wont have such a mess to clean up in future.

Great story Murray!
Things always seem to go wrong when making ambitious beers, and it's never just one thing!
Good on ya for persevering and getting the beer finished.
Reminds me a bit like an Imperial Stout I brewed, and EVERYTHING went wrong, but I kept on trucking and it turned out great! By the sounds of it, this beer should come out good for you and all of that hard work will may off.

Did my 50th brew yesterday. thought i'd make it something special...a belgian quadrupel.
should be a good day, what could possibly go wrong?

first drama didn't take long as my urn was heating up the water the adapter managed to melt itself into the socket and short out the house. bit of a set bacck, but i persevere. Heated up the water in my kettle instead and used smaller pots for sparging.

when the mash did come to a close i was delighted to find i had a stuck mash, never happened before so i was a bit shitting myself. had a mate help me empty my mash tun to fix up my false bottom/tap fittings to get it running again. old murphy was in force that day and a second stuck mash soon ensued. yay.

got that fixed and it was on to sparging. never done a brew with such an ambitious expected OG before (about 1.100) and after sparging what i needed pre-boil, it was still coming out at 1.040. keep sparging i thought and i'll boil it off. when i was done and the run off finally got down to about 1.015 i had over 45 litres of wort for a batch to be 23 litres. for this i split the batch in to 2 pots. one i had slowly coming to the boil on my stove inside while 20 litres i put on my big new outdoor burner to hopefully bring it down to a useable quantity.

turn out my brand new burner has a small leak where the manufacturer welded the burner to the stand. in finding out this fun fact i was able to lose my left eyebrow....going good.

after sorting that out i was eventually able to burn the 20 litres down to about 3 litres in about 2 to 3 hours...those burners are seriously strong. when i was done it was almost the consistency of liquid malt extract. anyway i added this back to the rest of the wort and finished up the brew as usual.

quite a day. turned my usual 7 hour brew day into 11 hours of havoc.did manage to finish with exactly 23 litres and an OG of 1.095, not too far under my target 75% efficiency.

so that's my tale of my first real brew day gone bad.

the lesson, don't use a cheap japanese adapter for your hot liquor tank.

murray

Murray,
did you use the brew calculator to work out your brew length etc?

Very high gravity brewing can be tricky, that's why your runoff got stuck.

was actually WLP530.
climbed through the replacement airlock as well today.
all good fun, cheers

Latest posts

Back