9 X 18litre Postmix Pin Lock Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boagesmalone

Reaction score
I have 9 X pin lock 18litre postmix kegs (Coca-Cola) with 12-month-old seals, and I am contemplating whether or not I should sell them or hang on to them.

I bought 12 of them over the phone for $20 each with out asking whether they had ball lock posts, and then travelled two hours to get them and decided I wasnt going home empty handed. I just thought well, I palm these off to the locals and make a nice little profit. WRONG.

My mates have just nicknamed me Busted Arse and a nice little song to go with it, so a little profit might just shut them up. The worst part about this fiasco is that we spent all Saturday night laughing about it, until I realised it was at my expense as they kept emptying my beer kegs.

I was hoping to pass the kegs on to these thankless mates of mine, (for a commission of course) but none of them are interested as they all have ball lock systems.

Our local home brew shop has quoted me $39 per post ($78 per keg) to convert them all to ball lock. Is this about right?

But if I decide to sell them unconverted, would $50/keg be a reasonable asking price for an 18litre keg with pin lock posts? What would you expect to pay?

Has anyone got any advice?

You can get ball lock kegs on ebay for $80 a hit so no $50 isnt reasonable for $78 conversion fee.

Sounds like you've really, really jipped urself.

Change your disconnects over to pinlock and use them.

The pinlock disconnects are only available in ss, and are about $40 each, so it is going to cost $80 to change your brewery over. Then you will have heaps of kegs and be the envy of any brewer.

Thanks Guys for your advice,

I already have an 8-keg system with 4 X 22 litres and 4 X 18 litres all with ball lock posts.

I thought about buying the disconnects to switch over each time I swap between keg systems, but I would much prefer to keep it simple. I might not have any alternative but to do so in order to keep things cost effective, unless of course I do sell them on Ebay or the trading post.

DrewCarey82 said:
You can get ball lock kegs on ebay for $80 a hit so no $50 isnt reasonable for $78 conversion fee.

Sounds like you've really, really jipped urself.
[post="111758"][/post]​

you can get them far cheaper than that through C&C...

Ross...

Thanks guys you have just talked me in to it.

Ive decided I will now buy two new pin lock disconnects ($20 each). The reasons being I already have two beer lines. I will leave the tap as is using the ball lock system, and hook the gun up to pin lock disconnects. Messy I know but having this many kegs (kept full I hope) It shouldnt be too much of an inconvenience. And if I do run out of full kegs for the gun then all I have to do is disconnect the gun line and switch back to ball lock hose.

Does that sound right?

I forgot to mention that I would leave both lines (disconnects) to the gas line and just leave the inactive line just hanging there waiting to be used next time.

And of course I will need to re-clamp the beer line to the gun each time I switch over.

I imagine thats about it.

If you decide to get rid of them there is a brewer here in Canberra that only uses pin lock and I am sure he would be interested.

Stagger

Thanks Stagger... I will keep him in mind. Can you PM a contact number and name so that I can call him if I decide to go that way.

Cheers
Boagesmalone

Hey Hey Hey!

Slow down, this is hardly a major issue. As posted above, buy some pin lock disconnects from C&C/Brewers Discount ( www.brewersdiscount.com ) and don't pay $20 each for them. That person is robbing you blind!

Get the ones with 1/4" MFL threads (called flare fittings) and the necessary threaded nut and barb to go with them. Then when you change over from a ball lock to a pin lock keg you just unscrew the ball lock disconnect and screw on a pin lock disconnect. Jesus guys, it doesn't get any easier than this.

They should only cost you about $5 each, factor in $12AUD shipping in a $9US Flat rate Global Priority envelope (which brewersdiscount will do for you-no need to ask) as long as your pack comes in under 4lbs. Buy some other goodies from Brewersdiscount to offset the $12 shipping and your way ahead. Have a browse over their site.

And tell your bagging mates to go f$5k em selves and brew their own beer.

Cheers, Justin

EDIT: Bugger, looks like you lucked out a bit on Brewers discount-they only have the barbed pin lock disconnects in stock at the moment, not 1/4". Might be worth the email to see if they have any in stock in case the site isn't up to date. Otherwise you might consider Morebeer.com

Or another option. Change you whole keg system to pin lock kegs and flog off the ball lock ones. Hell you've got 9 of em. Then you don't have to worry about having two systems.

Up to you.

If you ask me your the one who should be laughing. At $20 per keg there is no way you could ever lose money on them. You'd easily double your money on ebay or maybe even sell them to a home brew shop.

I always cringe when I talk to old time keggers that used to buy the kegs for $5-$10 each.

Good work on your purchase.

Justin

I run the pin lock style of kegs, have done for years. I went this way because I could get the parts cheaper than ball lock.

The disconnects cant be put on the wrong post unlike ball lock kegs. Ive seen it happen.

The disconnects are made from brass and stainless and are rebuildable and much more solid than the plastic ball lock ones.

If i were you id sell all your kegs, make a profit and sit back and laugh at your mates.

Hi Justin

Thanks for your advice especially your idea of changing over from a ball lock to a pin lock keg by just unscrewing the ball lock disconnect and screwing on a pin lock disconnect. I wasnt aware that you could purchase gear that would do that. As I said Ive been using the same system for years and Ive never come across this situation before. Additionally, most of my mates have ball lock kegs, with the exception of one who uses pin lock kegs and his hopeless (never has any beer). And I have never seen a combination of both systems working together. But your right Justin it doesnt get much easier then this when you think about it. Experience is everything in this game.

One of the fine members from this forum has offered me a pair of pin lock disconnects for $20, so all I have to do now is look in to these flare fittings and accessories.

Cheers
James
:beer:

Yes your probably right Paul, I should sell them all and try and make a profit.

However, now that I have had time to take in all the great advice, I cant wait to see their eyes when they witness the sophisticated rig that I will have set up. (All for my benefit of course...???)

But I will have the last laugh, provided I dont let them pour a single beer... Yea right.

In some areas pin-lock was more available than ball-lock, I live in ball-lock country.
Over the years I have accumulated some unneeded 2 and 3 pin posts.
I would haply trade 1 for 1 with anyone that wants pin-lock and has surplus ball-lock posts.

Quick count:
7 pairs (1each of 2 pin & 3 pin) and a couple of extra 2 pin gas posts.
I will throw in a new O-ring and Top Hat internal seal.

MHB

Typo - Fat finger syndrome

Back