55 Ltr Esky For 23 Ltr Batches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijax

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im wanting to make a copper manifold, esky mash tun this weekend. Im really keen to start working towards Partials/AG! Ive got a 55 ltr esky on hand and im wondering wether ultimatly its going to be too big for 23ltr batches and loose to much heat due to surface area etc? What are your thoughts? Ive also got a 15ltr circular esky that i was thinking might be good for partials? Any help would be much appriciated! Cant wait to make a tun! :icon_cheers:

You should be fine with a 55L for 23L batches, in my experience temperature never drops more than 1.5C. If you are worried about it just wrap it in a blanket or one of those cheapo camping mattresses. A 15L would be ideal for partial especially if you haven't got a big enough boil kettle etc. look into using stainless steel braids as a manifold for your round esky if you choose to use it, there are some good videos on youtube with regards to the "how to" instructions.

If you do use your 55L remember that when the time comes there's no messing about to do bigger batches.

Good luck

Aaron

you could cut some styrofoam to fit inside the esky and push it down to the top of the mash.

I use a 55L esky, but it is quite old. I generally lose a few degrees over 60 mins depending on the thickness of the mash (generally holds better at about 3-4L per kg, I often mash much thinner than this as I use a biab voile arrangement as a manifold after cracking the poops with a braid setup). It is fine for double batches also. When I mash thin I fold over some strips of foil to make a false top, then wrap the whole thing in a doona. Not perfect but made plenty of decent beer so far.

If you have a new 55L esky I doubt you'll have the problems I have...my esky was about 7 years old before it became a mash tun. The latin term for me is Cheapus cuntus.

Will be fine mate. I use my 47 litre esky for both singles and doubles, with a copper manifold. DO IT!!

I usually do doubles ( 15 min extra work, double the reward! ), but for strong beers, or when i try something new, i'll do a single.

Hi all,

Im wanting to make a copper manifold, esky mash tun this weekend. Im really keen to start working towards Partials/AG! Ive got a 55 ltr esky on hand and im wondering wether ultimatly its going to be too big for 23ltr batches and loose to much heat due to surface area etc? What are your thoughts? Ive also got a 15ltr circular esky that i was thinking might be good for partials? Any help would be much appriciated! Cant wait to make a tun! :icon_cheers:

heres my 15 little tun with stainless braid, good for up to 4kg of grain.

tun1.jpg

I'd use a 55L esky for double's

I have a 55 ltr techni ice box and a home made copper manifold. Works a treat. Lose 1 degree tops. I do 20 to 23 batches now and will move to 35ltr batches soon when I have a bigger kettle.
You may get thrustrated with fittings though if it's a techni ice box.
Cheers

I also use a 55l esky and DIY copper manifold, works fine, minimal temp loss and will be good if you want to do bigger batches in the future.

I use a 55l esky also. I have no problems with 23l batches. I have a 2200w element in mine, also one in my HLT (got sick of lifting pots of hot water), My HLT has a sight gauge so I fill it with a garden hose to level, heat the water with the element and drain it to the Mash Tun when ready. The element in the Mash Tun is to adjust temps as needed.

Les

Just make sure you preheat the Esky with boiling water... Also a bit of alfoil in the esky over the mash and then wrap that baby up in a nice warm duna or blanket. Will be all good.

I use a Wiillow 55 Lt esky and have put some styrofoam on top of the mash to keep the temp stable and works a treat for me . :icon_cheers:

Back