330ml Glass Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtodd

Reaction score
Does anybody bottle their beer in 330ml glass bottles? I am new to brewing beer and i bottled my first batch in a combination of 750ml Coopers long necks and 740ml PET bottles. I would like to use some smaller glass bottles as well as the 750ml glass long necks however I am having a bit of trouble finding new 330ml glass bottles that are a bit stronger and not marked 'no refill'. I bought an assorted beer pack from Bridge Road Brewery in Beechworth and I really like the bottles they use, being a bit heavier (245g) and not marked 'no refill'. If anyone knows where I can get similar bottles from or has any other ideas it would be great if you could share them with me.

Cheers

mtodd

Does anybody bottle their beer in 330ml glass bottles? I am new to brewing beer and i bottled my first batch in a combination of 750ml Coopers long necks and 740ml PET bottles. I would like to use some smaller glass bottles as well as the 750ml glass long necks however I am having a bit of trouble finding new 330ml glass bottles that are a bit stronger and not marked 'no refill'. I bought an assorted beer pack from Bridge Road Brewery in Beechworth and I really like the bottles they use, being a bit heavier (245g) and not marked 'no refill'. If anyone knows where I can get similar bottles from or has any other ideas it would be great if you could share them with me.

Cheers

mtodd

gday mate... yeah i use them... i find the imported bottles to be better and a bit stronger but there are plenty of good local's too, squire bottles and matilda bay are pretty good... every now and then youll find someone local flogging them on ebay, can get your self a bargain... other than that, good excuse to buy good beer and re-use the bottles...

Let us know where you are, best to put your location into your profile. There are heaps of people here who have bottles to spare, and if they know that you're close to them they might offer them to you.

Thanks adz1179 and Florian,

I'll check out some bottles when I'm in the bottle shop next and keep an eye on ebay. I'm in Adelaide so if anyone else in Adelaide wants to get rid of some glass bottles let me know.

Cheers

mtodd

Stay way from the New Malta Bay bottles. I have had bad luck with the necks breaking on them. To get my collection started I invited all my friends over for a BBQ and told them that if they were drinking they had to bring proper beer bottles i.e. not twisty or clear. Worked like a charm got about 40 of them.

Thanks adz1179 and Florian,

I'll check out some bottles when I'm in the bottle shop next and keep an eye on ebay. I'm in Adelaide so if anyone else in Adelaide wants to get rid of some glass bottles let me know.

Cheers

mtodd

I have used all types of bottles, tooheys, redback, hahn, corona, bundaberg ginger beer, coopers and little creatures to name a few. Some of which were marked "no refill". I've not had one bottle explode, even though I have bottled one batch early, which caused excessive carbonation. I'm not recommending that you use bottles marked "no-refill", just sharing my experiences...

90% of the bottles i use are the little creatures bottles, never had a single break with more refils then i can count, curently have probably about 250 full bottles in the cupboard give or take atm

Mate of mine's also started brewing recently and just bottled his first batch.

He has been drinking the Oettinger (imported German Lager). They are 330ml, crown seals and seem to be quite sturdy. Have worked well for him. Time will tell, but it's a cheap box of beer for relatively decent beer and you get bottles too....

I usually keg, but i do have a stash of bottles that i use when stocks in kegs are getting low. I like the Malt Shovel (James Squire) bottles. They're 345ml and very strong. Never had one go bang yet.

Its a great excuse to sample all different craft beers.... Head to Dan Murphey's and pick up a few each week as "research" and keep the empties.... It actually "saves" you money by buying them <_<

Mate of mine's also started brewing recently and just bottled his first batch.

the Oettinger (imported German Lager).

I second that those bottles are indestructable. I over primed one of those, and when my mate opened it, it bounced off his face and landed a cross the room. He still has the scare today.

Thanks for everyones input. Looks like I will have to buy more beer. That Oettinger seems super cheap. Are you sure its drinkable? :D

Gday Mtodd,
Ive bottled with a number of varieties of glass 330, 500, 740mls ... They all work well.. I use dry dock stubbies as well as aldi blonde stubbies.... never had an issue with any of them

Thanks for everyones input. Looks like I will have to buy more beer. That Oettinger seems super cheap. Are you sure its drinkable? :D

Trust me fella, it is VERY drinkable. Is it the finest beer money can buy? No it isn't.
Is it better than some boxes of beer twice it's price - pretty much.

There are several brewers here that like this beer, and is their go to beer when buying from a bott'lo.

I read a few posts about it months ago, and the general consensus seemed to be that it was a little bit of a secret beer that all who liked it was hoping it would stay cheap. So far it has avoided being hiked up in price.

I grab a sixer of this for the princely sum of $11.99 on the way to band practise each week, as i'm trying to help previously mentioned mate increase his bottle supplies.

Hard job but someone's gotta do it.

When i first started i got a whole heap of bottles from the tip. Just give them a good soak in napisan. A lot of them are shit thin twistops but i got a fair few boxes of crown seal 330ml bottles. Eventually i got sick of the little bottles and started doing tallies. Then i got sick of that and now keg.

+1 to Ekul,

I visit the local tip on a Sunday arvo not long before closing and scrounge in the glass bins.
I picked up a extension arm/claw from ALDI for $4...magic for picking up bottles.
I match up quality cartons with their empties....easy to stack and store.
I prefer the crown seal bottles if I can get them, but have never had a problem with screw tops.

Over time I will get enough good bottles to use only them...in the meantime...

I use LC bottles, Coopers bottles (both sizes) and various other crown seal and some twist seal bottle with a bench capper. No issues so far. I am however looking to buy some bottles from LHBS purely and simply to get a more consistant array of bottles to make storage easier.
I also mostly keg - but oddly enough am finding my self moving more and more back to bottling than kegging...

I also mostly keg - but oddly enough am finding my self moving more and more back to bottling than kegging...

+1

I may be stupid, but there is something almost romantic and organic about bottling a batch of beer.

As previously mentioned, i'm predominantly a kegger. I don't have heaps of kegs (6 cornies), and i have enough bottles to have two and a bit batches bottled at once. Used to have enough for 8 or so batches before dumping most of them to move to kegs.

Just recently, i've noticed my bottled stock has depleted two a dozen or so bottles so i've started bottling the last two batches to rebuild levels, and really, really loved it.

Yes kegs are great and i'll never get rid of them, but once in a while i reckon it's nice to spend some time, and some love, and bottle a decent batch of your finest...

Iam in Adelaide and can get you plenty of heavy weight 330ml bottles, they won't be rinsed but they won't be terribly filthy either, come down to Brewboys at 151 regency rd Croydon Pk and have a beer or two and we can work something out.
Only open thursday this week due to beer events in melbourne we are heading to but every other week thurs, fri and sat, open midday till 9pm.

Cheers
Jayse

mtodd - jump onto Brew Adelaide forum also fella for a bit more local brewing stuff and meetings in Adelaide, etc!

Linky in my sig. Cheers and welcome to the forums!

Latest posts

Back