3 Monts In Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berapnopod

Reaction score
Sometimes its impossible to get true examples of beer styles in Australia. One of my favourites, and one I have not seen here is Biere de Garde.

Last night, I stopped by Liquors on Parade, which is on Anzac Parade, Kingsford - just south of the big roundabout. I saw 6 bottles of Trois Monts. Apparently they had only just got them in, and still hadn't had time to get a price in the system yet. The price is $12.99.

Trois Monts is a blonde version of Biere de Garde, comes in a corked 750ml bottle.

So here's the reasons why you should get down there and buy one:

1. Its a chance to try an original farmhouse ale
2. Just come in, so its likely to be fresh (nov 06 is expiration date)
3. Its a great beer!
4. If the remaining five get snapped up quickly, theres a better chance they'll want to have more beers like this available in the future.

Berp.

And it is $12.99! I think I paid $20 for it here in Newcastle! :eek: Boy this stuf has some kick to it as well. 1 bottle is more than enough and it is the perfect thing to take with you when you go out to dinner.

Willie Simpson did an article a while back about this beer being used by a fancy bread shop in Balmain. They were going through heaps of the stuff. The Balmain Cellars always has fresh stock. Not sure on price.
James

i'm surprised that's the first time you've seen it - it's been available at a heap of places since about 2001... Vintage cellars everywhere, camperdown cellars, etc etc i've been drinking it and loving it for ages.

you can also find Jenlain and La Choulette Ambree and sometimes Ch'ti beers around the place too although these don't pop up as often.

love the stuff, trouble is here in adelaide people dont drink interesting beers so when you do find it, it has been on the shelf for ages.

jagerbrau said:
love the stuff, trouble is here in adelaide people dont drink interesting beers so when you do find it, it has been on the shelf for ages.
[post="118780"][/post]​

i quite like it aged - i cellared a bottle for 2 1/2 years and it turned out delicious. only thing is you lose the bitterness and some of the hop aroma. but it gets nice and mellow.

jagerbrau said:
[post="118780"][/post]​

I found it in adelaide for 12.99 in melbourne st last year with a date marked as may this year. Truelly special beer :super:
I think you'll find if a bottle shop that has beers sitting on the shelves for ages generally ending up stocking less and less variety but the other good ones seem to be getting even better and better all the time. I wouldn't personally complain at all about the variety and quality in adelaide at the moment although the bank account doesn't like it as much.

Born to booze
Jayse

macr said:
it is the perfect thing to take with you when you go out to dinner.
[post="118752"][/post]​
:lol: Sounds very familiar... do you read the Saturday N. Herald by any chance ;)

:p

Brent

Borret said:
macr said:
it is the perfect thing to take with you when you go out to dinner.
Sounds very familiar... do you read the Saturday N. Herald by any chance
Why yes :rolleyes: yes I do :rolleyes: But I totally agree with that comment, besides tasting good, it certainly attracts attention. :chug:

Yes Vintage Cellars reglarly have it for 12.99 best price I've seen. Always have a bottle on hand for when my french brother in law comes round..

neonmeate said:
i'm surprised that's the first time you've seen it - it's been available at a heap of places since about 2001... Vintage cellars everywhere, camperdown cellars, etc etc i've been drinking it and loving it for ages.

you can also find Jenlain and La Choulette Ambree and sometimes Ch'ti beers around the place too although these don't pop up as often.
[post="118770"][/post]​

Perhaps I am not going to the right places. So what about Saisons? Are any stocked at the places you mention?

Berp.

berapnopod said:
So what about Saisons? Are any stocked at the places you mention?

Berp.
[post="118822"][/post]​

ah now i wish there were saisons around on the shelves. only way you can get them is Saison Dupont via www.megabeer.com (you have to get a case of 12), Saison regal via internationalbeershop.com.au (but this is a crappy, sweet saison), or go to the Wig and Pen, they have one on at the moment. so does Matilda Bay in Perth i believe.
or make one yourself!

IS megabeer located in Adealaide, or sydney?

I went to their website sinkas to find that info out.

PO Box 5224
Mordialloc
VIC
Australia

Telephone: 03-90139313
Fax: 03-90139356

jagerbrau said:
[post="118780"][/post]​

I think the very opposite is true, but just my opinion.

jager, it was in the melbourne street wine cellars. Also available at the wheaty :)

Just picked up a Saison Dupont from Cloudwine in South Melbourne.

Cheers,

Sam

berapnopod said:
So here's the reasons why you should get down there and buy one:

1. Its a chance to try an original farmhouse ale

I'm not dissing 3 monts, it's a tasty enough beer, but Saint Sylvestre isn't exactle a little farmhouse brewery. They have an output of over 30,000 HL per year!

Back 2 years ago this had wide distribution in Aus. I'm suprised it's that scarse now.

kook said:
I'm not dissing 3 monts, it's a tasty enough beer, but Saint Sylvestre isn't exactle a little farmhouse brewery. They have an output of over 30,000 HL per year!

Back 2 years ago this had wide distribution in Aus. I'm suprised it's that scarse now.
[post="119016"][/post]​

Sorry for the confusion. I meant Farmhouse ales more in the vein of a style of beer, rather than a literal sense. Of course, I don't think anyone would expect to see some beer sitting on Sydney bottlo shelves that was made by some French farmer in his back shed.

Berp.

Back