3 Hour Mash!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunbrew

Reaction score
Just after opinions on my accidental 3 hour mash mainly.
It all seems ok and I was sure I had read about extended mash time previously somewhere on here, perhaps not 3 hours though.
Had a look with search function also.

Was making a BIAB brew on Saturday arvo at 1pm.
Had just mashed in, 30 litres if water at 70 degrees.
4.8kg of JW traditional ale malt.
200g toasted JW traditional ale malt.
200g rice.
My phone rang and I needed to go out.
Left the beer at 68 degrees and planned to mash out at 2:30pm
Events followed and I was not home until 4pm.
Temp was 65 degrees, got the grain out sparged, cooled a sample and had a gravity reading of 1038.

What are the effects of such a long mash?

Further process, I would expect to be unusual and also open to comment/flaming...
Did a 90 min boil with 4 additions of 10g of cascade.
Gravity was now at 1042.
Cooled to 20 degrees with immersion chiller.
Added to an existing fermenting wert that was down to 1020 after 7 days in a 60 ltr fermenter using saflager-23.
Had only 2 fermenters and both were occupied.

The already fermenting wert was 19 ltrs I had made the previous Saturday.
OG was 1052
4.75kg of JW traditional ale malt.
200g smoked for 4 hours then toasted JW traditional ale malt.
300g oats
200g rice
90 min boil with 300g of home grown chinook added in various additions.
I also Blended the hops with a bamix as I had noticed lumpin still clinging to hop cones that had been through the boil and fermenting processes of a previous batch.
The result was very hoppy and slightly smoked flavour.
Was concerned about mixing 2 batches though thought I would give it a go.
So now that 42 litres is fermenting away.

Another thing I was thinking about was oxidisation as I let the 2nd batch of beer free fall into the fermenter.
I was thinking this would be beneficial to get Oxygen into the wert to help the yeast.

Anyone not horrified by the highly experimental nature of this double batch?
Outcome should be interesting and hopefully not a disaster.
Cheers.

IMG00086_20100619_1935.jpg

About the time in the mash, I've had one sitting in the mashtun all day long and it turned out fine.

In the old Dave Line (UK) book that basically kicked off full mash brewing in the UK back in the 70s, most of the recipes read something like "Mash for 2 hours or overnight". :icon_cheers:

I've never mashed overnight, but the next day my grain is sour if I leave it in the bag. Wouldn't there be a chance of bacteria taking hold once the temperature drops to their desired comfiness? Or does the strike water pasteurise the grain and my bag souring is happening due to after-tun handling?

Great source, Thylacine, didn't know that board existed, I've bookmarked it. It would be handy to have a 'split' brewday, put the mash on in the morning and get back to it in the evening - then hoist the bag clear of the element (BIAB in an Urn), turn on the power to bring everything up to mashout temperature, then drain and boil. I'll try it with my next quaffing bitter. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back