2nd Attempt At Coopers Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
i have made one batch of coopers pale ale using a dextrose malt mix and the can it tasted good but was wondering if anyone had any tips to make my second one more special cheers

try using light malt extract with no dextrose at all, also if you used the supplied yeast give some safale a go

Try culturing a yeast from a couple of coopers pale ales if you can keep the temp beween 16-18C

Cheers,
BB

I'm interested at the success rate of that BoilerBoy, as I've heard of it being done a few times. I guess the idea is to do a starter with it the day before and see if it's kicking on brew day?

I'm interested at the success rate of that BoilerBoy, as I've heard of it being done a few times. I guess the idea is to do a starter with it the day before and see if it's kicking on brew day?

it's a fairly common thing to do with a high success rate, seeing as coopers is a domestic brew and the yeast in the bottle is fairly fresh.

give it a go, for a few bucks you get to drink a nice pale ale and also scoop a free yeast :D

Go for it Enerjex but you may want to build your starter up over a week or two prior to grow enough viable yeast cells for a happy ferment. :) Have a read of this article from Grumpy's.
Cheers
Doug

Just did one for a brew last thursday,

Tipped the yeast into a small jar of starter wort on friday, it was alive and firing sunday morning then pitched that into a 1 litre starter.
On tuesday I then divided it into 2 starters and added another litre to each, by brew day thursday it was all ready for a double batch of Aussie pale ale.

If you sanitation method is good its too easy :)

Cheers
BB

hi cadbury...
i like that kit (cooopers pale ale)..
check out these threads for recipe ideas
this thread if your new or have not added hops to a brew before...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ic=15659&hl

also this thread for more recipes...
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...otoro&st=30
my post is number 30 or so but there heaps of other recipes here as well..

good luck ...read both threads ...
anything you don't understand or stuff just post me okay..
cheers simpletotoro

Just Bottled the pale ale yesterday, haven't made one yet but it looks ok.
It was first time putting in glass bottles my misses bought me a capper the other day.
The only problem is I have way to many stubbies and only a handful of longnecks.
Looks like Im gonna have to go and drink a few.
I used brew enhancer 2 with the LDM in it.
It came out a nice colour fg was 1008.

Whilst the Pale Ale kit is quite good on it's own as a refreshing ale basically adding anything decent in the way of hops or specialty malts will improve it. Try some of the following:

steep in 15 g of the hop of your choice with the 'tea bag' method, adding hop aroma. This is really easy and takes zero time.

boil in 15 to 20 g of hops for 15-30 min, Cascade, Goldings, Fuggles are all nice, or even Halletau for that German touch.

steep in 1/2 kg of cracked crystal malt grain

add 1/2 kg of one of the morgans specialty malts, the caramalt is nice.

Of course, you could try combinations of, or ALL or the above for that really special brew.

Cadbury

Try 500gms Light Dry Malt
500gms White sugar
A Pride Of Ringwood or Goldings Teabag
Along with can Of CPA.

I know there will be alarm bells going off with the use of white sugar :angry: however for a coopers type clone it works and is the ONLY recipe I would recommend it in. Even better if you ony fill the fermenter to 19litres.

cheers

redgums

I'm also about to give the Coopers Aus PA a go at the moment, it's only my second brew so I probably wont get to techincal with yeast borrowing or extra hops (although I hope to once I get a bit more confidence).

My LHBS sold me brewing sugar with: Dextrose, Light Malt, Corn Syrup and something else (that ended in trose?) in it. 750g in total.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Good Luck

Cheers & Beers

Griffo

Hi,
I'd go with something like what RobboMC said but back off the crystal to about to 200g (light 18EBC), add 200g wheat and 800g LDM, steep a bag of MB-89 (I think it's 9:1, POR:Cluster, not 100% sure though) and leave the bag in the fermenter.
Or have a crack at a partial and mash 2kg of pale in a small foam esky instead of the LDM.
Cheers.

Edit: Definately have a go at culturing a CPA yeast or grab a white labs WLP009. You'll appreciate the difference.

Edit: Definately have a go at culturing a CPA yeast or grab a white labs WLP009. You'll appreciate the difference.

I know this is a temperature tolerant yeast, but does anyone have any idea what the minimum temperature it will handle is? Will it ferment out (slowly) at 14 or 15? (Which is my night temp...)

I know this is a temperature tolerant yeast, but does anyone have any idea what the minimum temperature it will handle is? Will it ferment out (slowly) at 14 or 15? (Which is my night temp...)

Remember it's not the air temp that counts but the temp of the liquid inside the fermenter. I've found a stickon thermometer can be up to 2 deg different from the liquid due to the insulating properties of the plastic in between. So a 23 litre batch started at 22 deg will SLOWLY cool over a number of days. So if you can keep it warm enough by having it in your lounge room you MAY keep the liquid above 18 deg long enough for a 4 to 5 day fermentation.

Having said that, I found in my first bewing winter that I started a batch of Pale Ale at 17 deg and after 6 days in July the temp was down to 13 deg C and the ferment stopped. Trouble now was that I didn't know if it stopped because it was done, or too cold, or both.

Without a heater to keep temps around 17 deg C minimum it's risky. You're better off getting some Saflager and making something with that. And there's no reason why you can't put Saflager into a Pale Ale mix. I did that last winter in Sydney and made a very nice beer at 16 deg C. This winter I'm making Bock.

I just bottled a Pale Ale kit, first time with a grain steep and it smells great out of the fermenter. Went back to back with another kit that i threw in the Secondary today. Give the grain steep a go I think that it would make a difference.

In secondary
1.7 Coopers Pale ale
300g Crystal steeped 30 min
500g LME
500g BE2
Saf yeast (23?)
Made up to 16L

not as light as the first one but should be a cracker. About 6.5 to 7 % :chug:

Hey Guys,

I had the first taste of the Pale Ale last night and it's not too bad.

The LHBS brew enhancer I used was 1.25kg total containing Dextrose, Light Malt and Maltodextrin.

It has quite a strong flavour that wasn't as close to the Coopers out of the bottle that I was hoping for but it's only been bottled 2 weeks, so hopefully it improves.
I'm going to buy some coopers longnecks tonight and compare the two.

Next time I'll have a go at using a different yeast and some extra hops.

Also I have been using tank water as the town water where I live is pretty bad for home brew apparently!
Does anyone know if this affects the tase much?

Happy Brewing.

Cheers & Beers

Griffo

CPA is fermented at 16 so it will handle this comfortably. If you wrap the fermenter in an old sleeping bag you will be surprised at how warm they will stay, especially since it generates heat during fermentation.

Back