26˚c To Hot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinson_d

Reaction score
Ive got a fat yak style ale kit on the brew. I used the yeast with it (us05). due to the HOT weather my brews been around 25-26˚c for 5 days. Is it possible its going to be any good? and what can go wrong with high temp? sg started at 1046 has stoped at sg1014. for a few days.

its is on the hot side, I cant say if it will be ok or not that will be up to you to decide. I started brewing in summer and brewed 2 beers in 38c weather all I can say is I would rather drink metho. I did not brew for 6 months after that till I got a fridge and temp control set up and havnt looked back. If you dont have temp control try to keep the temps down with water baths or ice packs and towels or something, I got 2 fridges and a keezer for $160 with the temp controllers and bits and bobs I had laying around, one fridge was free, one fridge cost $30 on ebay and a guy had a chest freezer on ebay for bids I offered $50 and got it lol. few stc1000 and your set

26C and you'll have a few "hot alcohol" fusels produced - mainly because when the air is 26C, your brew is 28C+. Possibly 30C. Yeast, like yourself, generates heat metabolising.

Fusel alcohols are the petrol of the alcohols if ethanol is LPG.

That said, people have a habit of only mentioning the warmest temp of the day. 23L of largely water is a great thermal buffer. Water is a really difficult thing to heat and cool as far as liquids go ... so as you say it was 26C, the night was probably 18C, so the average temperature was probably more like 22C, and that's gonna be the temp of your brew minus fermenting.

I find US05 is okay under 24C ambient. Above 26C and it doesn't get fruity like other yeasts, it gets NASTY.

A fat yak doesn't have a huge malty backbone to cover a lot up, but does have a lot of hop presence to help. I'm thinking if the brew fermented at 26 on us-05, it will not be nice at all.

QldKev

Air temp. was 20 by night 35˚c + by day and the brew temp. 25-26 for 5 days. So not looking to hopeful but might bottle it, can always give it away!

If you like fruity fruit juice... hate to say but I doubt it will be worth keeping, or spending any more time on.

Hey Brewinhobo,

Not sure how it's going to taste...hope it's not too bad :unsure:

+1 for the water bath for your next brew.

I generally just 3/4 fill one of those plastic storage tubs with cold water and put the fermenter in the tub.
Freeze a couple of water bottles overnight and stick them in the tub for the day.

I was surprised how much it helps reduce the temperature fluctuations.
I've just survived this crazy hot Melbourne weather using this method and kept the brew temp down to around 21C constant.

Good luck :icon_cheers:

Jake.

I Bought a wine cooler from Woolies recently for under $50 and am surprised how well it's keeping temps down. A little modification (sizewise) and it happily holds the fermenter at 18C...my APA is loving it.

A couple of ice packs and a lager kept at 12C the other week.

Food for thought. :icon_cheers:

Hobo, the very best thing I ever did for my brewing is ask around for a free fridge (you'd ba amazed how many get offerred up when you ask), and buy a temp right or similar control. It transformed my brewing. Now, I just mix it (however simple or complex I feel lke doing at the time), then bang it in my brew fridge with the temp dialed up and come back in two weeks. The best thing is I then drop the temp to 1c for a couple of weeks, rack, gas and pour... I guess what I'm trying to say is, from advice in this forum, I made the purchase early and didn't waste too many dollars (and "efforts") to work out I needed temp control. My advice, if you can afford the $$, just do it... the fridge, I'm sure you'll locate for free if you start asking around - thought it might take a few to find something that is still in go condition.

All the very best with it.

Hendo.

Cheers Jake the tub of cold water sounds good...next time! and Hendo i could of bought a NEW fridge with the money i spent running the A/C unsuccessfully trying to cool my beer. Only prob. is no space for a second fridge.
I could always just look at the forecast and avoid the adelaide heat wave the last few days would of been fine.

Air temp. was 20 by night 35˚c + by day and the brew temp. 25-26 for 5 days. So not looking to hopeful but might bottle it, can always give it away!

Oh.

Making beer without temperature control is like crocodile cunnilingus.

You'll get 'er there, but there'll be tears.

Has to be comparison of the year so far, whatever in the **** its supposed to mean......

Methane, eth, prop, but, pent, hex, hept, octane. You can apply the same prefix to the alcohols as to the alkanes. It's the amount of carbons, or the length of the molecule. Methanol, ethanol, butanol...

Sometimes I wonder WTF everyone was thinking about in high school instead of what was being taught. :p

+1 for the ferm fridge. I havent done one in one yet, but I am picking up a 320L chest freezer for $200 on sunday, bought a whiz bang temp controller from a nice British ex-pat out at capalaba, another 30ish for the assorted bibs and bobs to wire it up, and a mate who is a 4th year sparky apprentice and I'll be in business come monday.

Haunt ebay or gumtree, (search for both chest freezer and deep freezer). Something new comes up every day. I missed out on a 310L for $50, so you have to be quick. Just think about how much you save on beer for each brew. 2 1/2 ish cartons each brew, cost in the shop of $100+, cost to you, less than half of that. doesn't take many brews that you dont have to throw out to pay for itself.

My 2c

Lobby

I found a fridge on the side of the road the other day. One wet towel and a 2l milk bottle filled with ice changed twice a day and the buggers nearly getting too cold!

Methane, eth, prop, but, pent, hex, hept, octane. You can apply the same prefix to the alcohols as to the alkanes. It's the amount of carbons, or the length of the molecule. Methanol, ethanol, butanol...

Sometimes I wonder WTF everyone was thinking about in high school instead of what was being taught. :p

i was quite often thinking about the tits, the tits and arses, arses and tits, the history teachers tits, history teachers arse, history teachers tits and arse,
WTF where you thinking about at school Nick

really? at that age it was mostly about girls. and how to get a girl. and what the **** id do if i actually got a girl!

i did leave school at 15 though

+1 for the ferm fridge. I havent done one in one yet, but I am picking up a 320L chest freezer for $200 on sunday, bought a whiz bang temp controller from a nice British ex-pat out at capalaba, another 30ish for the assorted bibs and bobs to wire it up, and a mate who is a 4th year sparky apprentice and I'll be in business come monday.

Lobby

Lobby, i don't wanna be a downer.. but Please, Please, Please be careful and put on your OH&S cap when lifting a full fermenter in and out of a chest freezer.. we only get one back, gotta look after it..

but congrats on temp control... equal best thing i ever did for my brewing. :icon_cheers:

Back