2010 Adelaide, Mildura & Whyalla Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Malty Hop's Dark Belgian Strong

Deep amber in colour, and low to minimal carbonation. Slighty peppery flavour at the end of the palette.

Light bodied but good warming alcohol with medium maltiness - nicely balanced with the alcohol.

Certainly 'smooth and dangerous' in accordance with the guidelines!

Hope you guys don't mind a foriegner poking about in your patch, but I won a bottle of TonyC's Northern Brown in the Lotto draw this year and thought I'd give it some well deserved praise in the thread it is home to. This was the feedback I pm'd him...

Appearance: Pours a deep brown to almost black into a standard pint glass. Clarity is good with garnet highlights when held to the light. Light tan head that hangs around for a bit, then fades to nothing (may be due to being second beer into a rinsed glass). Carbonation is low and good for style.

Aroma: Nutty malty aromas dominate for mine with caramel notes and some dark chocolate in the background. I don't detect any hop aroma at all in my bottle.

Taste: Fills the mouth well, probably a little too much body for style; really nice creamy mouthfeel about it though! Flavour explosion across my tongue... caramels, bitter chocolate, backstrap molasses, roasted haelnut and something like a bitter orange, or a bitter orange chocolate (if that makes sense), in the background. Nice dry finish with a lingering, well balanced bitterness.

Again, probably a little too much going on for the style guideline, but damn this is one excellent beer! Probably sits somewhere between a Nut Brown Ale and a Porter?? But so freaking what! Hell of a beer, mate! Beer of the case for mine so far...

Thanks for sharing, Tony, really glad you sent the recipe! I can see me having a crack at this one and storing it up for the winter..

Cheers,

schooey

With a sig like that Schooey, you are almost a local!

(Off topic slightly - are you due back in Adelaide again soon?)

Haha... I wish, Ravs! I was made redundant from the job that took me south and my new gig sees me only in the Waratah state. In saying that, there may be a training gig in the city of Churches next month that I'll be jockeying for.. ;) I'm starting to get Wheaty withdrawals...

Will keep you posted...

Tony's entry in the Christmas lotto is the only time I remember seeing him in the recent posts at the top of the page. It's what got me to have a look. His was my favourite beer of the swap & I'm pretty keen to brew it. I probably should do more brewing & less typing really.

Latest posts

Back