1v biab recirc - build questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
atregent said:
I've finished wiring up my control panel for my eBIAB Recirc setup on the weekend.

The 2200W Keg King element manages to get a nice rolling boil (not hugely vigorous) with 20-25 litres. Any more than that would be a bit of a struggle I would imagine, but since 20l is my plan, that works for me. Of course, it was only 10°C ambient temperature in the workshop when I was doing the tests.

Some pics here if you're interested: http://imgur.com/a/xYfTH

Nice first post, also good looking system.

breakbeer said:
Yep, I run both elements for the boil (I also plug the 2nd one in when I'm ramping up to mash out, just to get it there quicker)

Can the element you linked to be run off a 10A circuit? I was under the impression that the maximum wattage element for a 10A circuit was around 3600kw
Max you should run off a normal household circuit is 2400W which equals 10A. So you are running the circuit at it's maximum. Any other device which draws decent amps will trip the circuit breaker (heater, kettle, etc). Generally the circuit can handle a little higher than 10A so the limitation is the GPO. GPO is not designed to handle more than 10A and certainly not for 60 mins/ 90 mins of the boil. You are stressing the GPO and wiring running more than 10A.

Yeah sorry I worded it incorrectly, what I meant was that if you go for a 3600W or higher element then you'll need a 15A circuit

Wouldn't run that posted element on a 10amp, would get a 30amp or so
So how do you control the voltage supplied to the element to control boil?
Do these pie things do that?

Or would 4800w for a double batch be fine?
But then again what if you want to do a single, would one be better off using two elements?

Sorry to op for ot

I have a 5500w ULWD Camco element on my 70L 1v recirc rig. I have a 25A circuit to power it and run my PID at around 80% to keep a rolling boil.

I get 42L into my fermenters each brew.

Thanks mate
So 1 4800 would be ok at 100% you think ?

So to reduce voltage to the element I need to run a pid?
Been looking at your build, looks good!

Hey mate, cant say if a 4800w will do the job or not cause I have not used one. When I was reading up on the 5500 people were saying it would roll a boil at 75%. Mine holds it at 80ish give or take.

Go as big as you can. If you have to get a dedicated circuit, go 25 or 30 Amp.

Latest posts

Back