1st Time Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well im about to do my 2nd brew, this is my 1st using Wyeast. Brewing a Hoegarrden knock off extract with some other grain BIAB style.

Anyways. iv read most of Bats thread and wanted to clear up a few things.

1. Im pretty sure that you are meant to store the Wyeast pack in the fridge as soon as it arrives.
so whats the recommended temp ? is a normal fridge around the correct temp ?

2. I think you can just pop the packet wait for it to swell (this can take a couple of days ), sanatise the pack cut it and pitch when ready ? should this be at fementation temps whilst rising ? say 20 ?

3. I take it that using the process in Bats write up on Starting wyest, his process is used to create allot of starters from 1 bag ? as they arnt cheap ?

Cheers guys.

1.\ Normal fridge good, freezer bad.

2.\ Can do for Gravity's up to 1045, much bigger and a starter is preferred. If the pack's fairly new, should come up in a day.

3.\ Yep, but you can short cut it and just end up with a starter, same procedure.

Thanks for the answers man..

Exactly what i was after.

Hi vicelore,

Which yeast are you using?

I did a wit recently with the WY3944. I pitched it at 18 degrees and it was a very happy chappy doing its thing at about 19/20 degrees. It has given some really nice phenolic character to the brew.

cheers

grant

Hi vicelore,

Which yeast are you using?

I did a wit recently with the WY3944. I pitched it at 18 degrees and it was a very happy chappy doing its thing at about 19/20 degrees. It has given some really nice phenolic character to the brew.

cheers

grant

really nice phenolic character?

stagga.

Flavor: Low to moderately strong banana and clove flavor. The balance and intensity of the phenol and ester components can vary but the best examples are reasonably balanced and fairly prominent.

Link

cheers mika, learnt something new about requirments for a specific beer. :icon_cheers:

stagga.

That's the idea. Wyeast describe the 3944's flavour profile as

"Produces a complex flavor profile with a spicy phenolic character and low ester production. Phenols tend to dominate other flavors and dissipate with age. Ferments fairly dry with a finish that compliments malted and unmalted wheat and oats."

Its a nice yeast.

cheers

Grant

I couldn't get 3944 for the last wheat I wanted to do :(
It is a damn fine yeast.

Back