1st time hop grow/ slow chinook/ need advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chinook is just starting to peak out of the soil and my Victoria is about 2 inches long but has been stalled for the last 3 or so weeks :(

My Cascade are only just coming through as of yesterday. Only got them in the ground 10 days ago.

If its stopped growing I think that means the plant is concentrating on growing its roots down below. Just be patient, I think that's what my POR is doing right now as it got to around 2 feet high and slowed right down.

I have a new problem now.... Where should I plant these 2 extra chinook rhizomes? Might be able to find another spot in the ground and maybe put one in a pot.

My Chinook went from one small shoot to 8 strong ones in the space of a week. Hostile takeover.

syl said:
My Cascade are only just coming through as of yesterday. Only got them in the ground 10 days ago.
That's good to know. Having my first crack at growing hops this year and put a Cascade in about a week ago. Eagerly awaiting my first shoots like an expectant father.

Dave70 said:
If you can grow weeds, you can grow hops.
As I discovered last year though, they're much like an iceberg insomuch as what you can see above ground bears no resemblance to goings on at a subterranean level. The'll will take over any garden given the chance. Their only saving grace are those wonderful little cones, otherwise they're more an invasive pest. It's pots all the way for me these days.

Plant em, throw your choice of poultry, equine or bovine shit on top and water every other day or when you remember.

We're not growing orchids here.
Hmm, I talked SWMBO into putting my hops in where she wanted Ivy, in a small garden with some other plants. Hopefully it doesn't choke the rest out too much or I might be finding it another home.

The chinook has already outgrown my 5 week old POR in a little over a week. The vine is much thicker too. This variety is a beast!

syl said:
mine were the same, about 7 days to break soil. Just on 4 weeks planned now and both plants have 3 healthy bines, some over a foot high! Good soil, seasol and plenty of water is all I have done - beautiful QLD gave me awesome sunshine

https://db.tt/gLlzt8IR

Latest posts

Back