1st Non-kit Cider Is Underway!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farnk

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

Had a great day at the Kellybrook Cider festival on the weekend. A great day out!
So, picked up 20l of juice straight from the press, hit it immediately with some SO2 to kill any bugs.

A couple of hours later when I struggled home, (too much scrumpy!) I dumped the lot into my fermenter, and added some pectinase (enzyme) to break up the suspended solid matter.

Measured out at 1055 OG.
24 hours later, the juice had clarified well and I hit it with a champange yeast. Two days in now and it's bubbling nicely with a good thick and bubbly krausen.

No idea how long it will take but looking forward to my first cider from juice!

sounds good mate , just out of curiousity how much did the juice set you back , was it cheaper buying it in that quantity ?

This sounds excellent - how very "prison-style" :p
Ferment up some juice and you're away!

sounds good mate , just out of curiousity how much did the juice set you back , was it cheaper buying it in that quantity ?

A 20 ltr jerry full (actually a bit more, it filled the fermenter to the 23 ltr mark) was $45.
Not too bad price wise, but more importantly the juice was straight out of the fruit and no preservative had been added.

A few days in now and it's well and truly off with bubbles every sec or so, and the SG has dropped about 15 points. Interesting to observe this process, compared with my beer brewing.
While the pectinase was doing it's work, (i.e before the yeast was cast) a thick layer of material settled on the bottom of the fermenter as the juice cleared. Now that the yeast has kicked on, that layer of material has disappeared! Obviously tasty stuff to those little yeasties!

f

I missed the cider festival :(

I got married at kellybrook only a month ago and kept telling myself....first weekend in may first weekend in may, cider fest!

im a fool.

Hi, everyone.

Had a great day at the Kellybrook Cider festival on the weekend. A great day out!
So, picked up 20l of juice straight from the press, hit it immediately with some SO2 to kill any bugs.

A couple of hours later when I struggled home, (too much scrumpy!) I dumped the lot into my fermenter, and added some pectinase (enzyme) to break up the suspended solid matter.

Measured out at 1055 OG.
24 hours later, the juice had clarified well and I hit it with a champange yeast. Two days in now and it's bubbling nicely with a good thick and bubbly krausen.

No idea how long it will take but looking forward to my first cider from juice!

F,

How did this little brew turn out? I'm looking for a good scrumpy recipe.

cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back