1st Choice Liquor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukec

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the go is with 1st choice liquor and its shit amount of beer varieties.

The one down my way isn't terrible. Perhaps it is just the one near you?

The one down my way isn't terrible. Perhaps it is just the one near you?

There is a better variety at Yarra glen IGA that at the Ringwood 1st choice.

Barrique Wine Store in Healeville (next to the 'Which Bank?') has some good beers, not a huge amount mind you but some of the hard to find ones. Seirra Nevada Tumbler, SN Celebration, some of the Epic's & some 8-Wired's last time I was in there.

One down the street from me (Caroline springs) used to be pretty good on variety. Pity most of the beers were so badly handled, I kept returning mine until I gave up entirely and they eventually gave up themselves it seems. I only go there for fat yaks and helgas now, and the bottle of scotch

so dont go there. why does it bother you about ringwood if your in yarra glen. geez, its called supply and demand. go to mayerling cellars in burnt bridge shops on maroondah hwy

are you also going to start telling us how good another megachain is (*smelling a troll*).

so dont go there. why does it bother you about ringwood if your in yarra glen. geez, its called supply and demand. go to mayerling cellars in burnt bridge shops on maroondah hwy

are you also going to start telling us how good another megachain is (*smelling a troll*).

No it's just the fact It was easy to get to when I got of east link on my way home from work, and wanted a traveller. Thought i would give it a crack and was bitterly disappointed.
Relax

The one in newcastle (glendale) is atrocious :(

The one in newcastle (glendale) is atrocious :(

Yes it is. If you can get to Vintage Cellars at Cooks Hill you'll be pleasantly suprised though. Also Warners At The Bay are pretty good for some of the hard to find stuff.

Edit: I asked the manager about turn over of the Belgians and Lambics and he said "Yeah. We run out of the Chimay and Wesmalle all the time".

The one in Ballina is pathetic. Has more cider than beer. Bit of a shame. Are they starting to go that way?

The one in Ballina is pathetic. Has more cider than beer. Bit of a shame. Are they starting to go that way?

Seems like it.

I do alot of work in bottlo's and like to do a bit of snooping while I'm in there. Your average Liquor Land (and I'm talking about the lower socio-economic areas I frequent) has about two fridges of run of the mill beer (including sixies and longnecks) compared to a full fridge of cider which includes a fair few fancy pants ones at that. A situation that would have seemed unimaginable a few years ago.

No it's just the fact It was easy to get to when I got of east link on my way home from work, and wanted a traveller. Thought i would give it a crack and was bitterly disappointed.
Relax
If ur going maroondah hwy to yarra hlen stoo.at myerling. Its ringwood on maroondah hwy. They have good selection

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a crack next time.
Google maps. Just after oban rd. theres a small coles there also in case u need milk bread etc whilsr u grab a cold one. Its my local :)

Just before I left in the last 2 months 1st choice had some upper management changes and has now become a wine oriented business and is dropping a lot of slower selling beers. Their number one goal is obviously cash turn over and will most likely only really have mainstream beers now. :rolleyes:

I've definitely noticed the degradation at the Cairns store... its little things but it adds up.
None of the nicer beers in the fridge really. All boring crap. The first time I got Schneider weisse from them it was superb, this last time was crap. Dan's going towards the beaches is much better.

And we only have these two, nothing else from what I could find. nada.

Back