18th Century Spruce Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivesucka

Reaction score
found this beaut recipe.

located here

after reading the recipe and aborbing it into my brain tissue it occured to me that a bruised ginger root may be hard to come by, if not impossible, i wish i could elaborate further, but alas i don't even know how to go about bruising a ginger root. i wonder what the finished product tastes like containing parts of a tree.

found this beaut recipe.

located here

after reading the recipe and aborbing it into my brain tissue it occured to me that a bruised ginger root may be hard to come by, if not impossible, i wish i could elaborate further, but alas i don't even know how to go about bruising a ginger root. i wonder what the finished product tastes like containing parts of a tree.

I wouldn't call it a beer in the true sense of the term, maybe a variant of ginger beer... Does sound tasty though.

As for bruised ginger root, take an old fresh ginger root (buy one and leave on the window sill for a month or so) now with a rolling pin or other hard object give it a few taps just hard enough to deform it, but not so hard that it falls apart. You now have some bruised ginger root.

radical brrewing has a spruce recipe as well from memory. it certainly has a juniper bush beer etc. its essentially trying to use parts of plants that have some sort of bittering effect instead of using hops. it should come out sort of piny.

these sorts of recipes are great to make as a club and that way a lot of people can get a smaller amount to try instead of 1 guy being left with 23L of questionably tasting beer.

Latest posts

Back