18 gallon kegs; US or U.K.; 9 gall kegs 'ya See Ya's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit
Reaction score
Just in case anyone ever wonders

WHICH REALLY NEEDS TO BE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD but search terms are important..

These old 18 gallon kegs are : 75 litres MAX useable volume for mash; or 65 litres max for rolling boil, not full rolling boil. That minimises any chance of a boil-over. Up to you.

I just weighed this out according to the weight of water at 20C, within whatever the variance here tonight in Melbourne, which looks like about 0.5C either direction. , and estimated according to my experience of the levels in boil and mash. These are estimations, ya??? Anyhoo, hope next person who wonders whether those 18 gallons are US or British, and looks for the answer, finds this thread.

UTTER BULLSHIT (Disclaimer): I have not measured the 9 Gallon kegs. I cannot guarantee simple division will get you the precise volume. Man up,

If you've read this far here's a picture.

I do apologise, but it seems my photomagraph has not been inserted where I hoped. I do hope you will find this both entertaining and informative. This is an 18 gallon keg.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487075586.425387.jpg

You try to be bad ass, for kicks, and realise you're holding a ladle.

(This might be most easily explained by watching Evil Dead.)

No pic Mardoo. Your title and the content don't make sense, maybe because of the missing pic.

EDIT - Quick draw McGraw. Yeap, 80L sucker, I have one as my kettle. Great kettle. 18 UK gallons = 81.8L, which mine holds (held, it's about 80L now). Admittedly I've never done more that 65L in the boil, but I reckon I could push it up close to 75L if I was attentive and hovering with a spray bottle the entire time.

2nd EDIT - quick conversions when you don't have the time to think about it http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/uk-gallons-to-liters.htm Just change the settings to US gallons and you will find 9 US gallons = 34L. Sorry if you know this, but sounded as if you couldn't be bothered to calculate the conversion.

I got one of these badboys for my brew kettle too with a 3.5kw element init. Perfect for double batches.

Thanks for above info lads :)

Latest posts

Back