Plugging The Hole In A 18 Gallon Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
Ive recently acquired an 18 gallon keg which I plan to use as a kettle.
Problem is the hole in the side of it. Has anyone got any ideas of how to plug it without welding?
Its aprox 50mm, but seems to taper in a bit to about 48mm.

I would also welcome suggestions (& photos) of where to install the pickup tube on one of these kegs.

Yes, Ive used the search function (many different key words but not much success). I was also searching for a thread "show us ya drained kettle" (something like that) for photos which may have given me some ideas, but couldnt find anything.

Gregor

IMGP0265.JPG

Problem is the hole in the side of it. Has anyone got any ideas of how to plug it without welding?

I would also welcome suggestions (& photos) of where to install the pickup tube on one of these kegs.

Yes, Ive used the search function (many different key words but not much success). I was also searching for a thread "show us ya drained kettle" (something like that) for photos which may have given me some ideas, but couldnt find anything.

Gregor

View attachment 39236

you could try bashing a stainless welsch plug ((Freeze plug?) for a car engine) in the hole

any reason why you couldnt get it welded up, thats what I did, its reasonably thick there so even a stick welder with stainless rods is ok as long as you are careful (read: turn welder down)

Paul

Gregor

gday gregor,

easiest option is to weld a piece of SS in the hole, can't you take it to a fab shop locally ?

if yours is the same as mine, fit the pickup in the recess as per the pic, it works well.

14.jpg

cheers

Dave

gday gregor,

easiest option is to weld a piece of SS in the hole, can't you take it to a fab shop locally ?

if yours is the same as mine, fit the pickup in the recess as per the pic, it works well.

14.jpg

cheers

Dave

Awesome Yardy

That pick up tube looks like it would work a treat. Do you not use any type of screening on your pickup tube? Does the dished out shape at the bottom of the keg collect most of the trub?
Yes I suppose I should just get it welded, just thought that there may be a simple no weld solution.
Is it just welded from the outside or is that done from inside. I thought that if welded from teh outside it would leave a bit of a cavity that would be hard to keep clean.

Gregor

Awesome Yardy

That pick up tube looks like it would work a treat. Do you not use any type of screening on your pickup tube? Does the dished out shape at the bottom of the keg collect most of the trub?
Yes I suppose I should just get it welded, just thought that there may be a simple no weld solution.
Is it just welded from the outside or is that done from inside. I thought that if welded from teh outside it would leave a bit of a cavity that would be hard to keep clean.

Gregor

Pickup works fine mate, i'm in the process of building a chiller and i'm also looking at building a hopscreen for the pickup, revox and schooey have made some good ones from memory.

the recessed dish in the base was made for trub collection, as you can see from the pic thats just from a simple whirlpool at the end of the boil, I'd like to eventually weld some stainless in there to complete the recess.

I welded the hole inside and out with SS electrodes

18keg3.jpg

18keg1.jpg

once you find a fab/engineering shop, get them to TIG weld a piece of stainless flat bar in for you, if you're in spending mode, get a couple of handles put on and the hole drilled as well to save time.

cheers

Dave

btw, scour the 2nd hand shops for a glass lid from a wok, makes a perfect lid for the keggle B)

bundy.jpg

Its a thing of beauty Yardy.
Cheers for posting the photos, they are a great help.

Gregor

can anyone reccomend a place around the Hornsby or Seven Hills areas that would do this kind of welding work?

Latest posts

Back