1728 - scotch ale in a porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sp0rk said:
You're thinking of my ESB :p
And that used Notto...
]
Like any of us could remember what we drank during that epic night......

sp0rk said:
You're thinking of my ESB :p
And that used Notto...
I'll give you some of the porter one day...

Mine was

80.54% Maris Otter Malt
10.5% Munich I
5.4% Chocolate
3.55% Black Roasted Barley

2 g/L East Kent Golding (5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (5.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

100g of toasted crushed cacao nibs @ 10 minutes
90 minute mash and boil

Skelly22 did it for the Grafton show and added some vanilla paste, I thought it was nice but probably need a couple of months aging (not sure what yeast he used though)
Sounds good - I think the recipe I used was similar - though so far I would prob add some crystal in to round out the middle tones and add a touch of caramel just a little. With choc and vanilla added it may not need it though.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/79696-porter-recipe/#entry1167493 was the one I used. Great blend of choc, roast and dark. I didn't steep overnight, so I think I added more of the darker malts, and added in 10 mins to go. Of course that could explain why it is a little darker / wants crystal :) Smooth and delicious so far. I upped the gravity too. Prefer full bodied, heavier porters as a rule.

You blokes have got me stinging for a pint of dark roasty goodness!!

Get yourself founders porter, or their breakfast stout, or renaissance elemental porter. All amazing. Had Southwark stout last night and it was very nice. No way near the founders, but tasty.

Need to start using untapped or similar. I'm losing track of all the amazing beers I'm tasting.

Just had a sneaky taste of a bitter I made with the wlp Scottish ale yeast. Just had a beergasm in my mouth, sensational. Malty aroma and flavour with a mineral sort of finish. Excellent yeast. 1.070 porter is on the yeast cake and I'll be doing many more beers with this strain.

Best thing is I've put some aside to drink through a beer engine. FFS it's going to be insane:)

Back