• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

10kg Co2 Cylinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can tell thats a BOC bottle.

Hi,

Nothing dodgy about it, is a privately owned cylinder, I did not think to place it here first.

Is a BOC brand, all you have to do to have it re-filled is to hire another same size cylinder from BOC, and take your empty back later that day and they cannot charge you for a full years rent, so all you pay for is just a re-fill.

Or take it to your local HB Store who have Co2 Cylinders and swap it there.

Cheers
Richo

Is a BOC brand, all you have to do to have it re-filled is to hire another same size cylinder from BOC, and take your empty back later that day and they cannot charge you for a full years rent, so all you pay for is just a re-fill.

If it was legitmately owned, why would you need to do that?

Because, I Donot Pay a yearly Rent, unlike others.

I think you will find that there are other brewers out there who own their own cylinders, I am not the only one, If you are not interested don't reply.

The one bad thing about this site is the critisim that is recieved.

All I am trying to do is sell the Co2 Cylinder, I have no need for it, as i have scalled right down in Brewing and is surpless to my needs, other also do the same thing from time to time.

And I know I Can't spell.

Richo.

Cheers
Richo

Hi Richo,

Can you do daily hire with BOC?

Cheers Ross

Hi Richo,

Can you do daily hire with BOC?

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,

I donot know, what the local BOC bloke told me to do, to have it re-filled is to hire another same size cylinder from BOC, and take your empty back later that day and they cannot charge you for a full years rent, so all you pay for is just a re-fill.

It was over 2 years ago when I last done a swap over with the advertised cylinder, and as you can see I have not used it it is still full, I also use Fire Extinguishers for Kegs, so this 10kg Cylinder has been a spare, BOC have to send you out a invoice for payement, you don't pay for the rent straight away, and I think it was $32 for the re-fill + $2 of some micellanous charge which was probably in lue of the rent.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hi Richo,

When i hired mine i was offered either quarterly or yearly rent up front. i certainly couldn't walk out the shop without paying. Also if you cancelled the contract, you were up for whatever length of contract you had agreed to, which is why
i pay quarterly not yearly - hence my interest. If you can do as you say, it would be great.

cheers Ross

Because, I Donot Pay a yearly Rent, unlike others.

I think you will find that there are other brewers out there who own their own cylinders, I am not the only one, If you are not interested don't reply.

The one bad thing about this site is the critisim that is recieved.

All I am trying to do is sell the Co2 Cylinder, I have no need for it, as i have scalled right down in Brewing and is surpless to my needs, other also do the same thing from time to time.

And I know I Can't spell.

Richo.

Sorry, I dont mean to sound like Im being critical, just trying to figure out how it works. I cant see why you need to make two trips. Why cant you just rock up with an empty bottle and say "can you fill this please" or "here's my empty bottle, Ill do a swap for a full one".

Why the hell would u pay $200 for a cylinder if all u r going to do is give it back to BOC in exchange for a full one and cough up rent + the fill? Why not save $200 and just turn up at BOC and rent one?
Also if u rock with an empty bottle the first thing they say is THANKS, then ask for your account number and if u dont got one you dont get anything.

Why cant you just rock up with an empty bottle and say "can you fill this please" or "here's my empty bottle, Ill do a swap for a full one".

because he doesnt have a bottle on account.

I'm curious why people have to pay rent? Here, if you're a new customer, you pay a deposit of $50 on the cylinder the first time. Add to that the cost of the gas, which varies by province quite a bit. When I lived in Saskatoon there was a party rental place where I'd swap my empty cylinder for a full one for $20. When I lived in BC, the cheapest place I could find was $45. Now in Alberta, it's $30. No rent. Just swap the empty for a full one.

I can't help but feel lucky. You guys are getting hosed.

Hello people
I have BOC cylinder, just take to fire extingisher filler. If the filler is half decent bloke, all OK.
Dont forget the cylinder has to be in test.

Roota

That's right Newguy. The gas companies here don't appear to be in business to supply gas, but rather to rent cylinders.

Wally

Correct, I think they've worked out that $45 worth of gas once every year/year and a half or longer isn't worth their effort of keeping the cyclinders in test etc. Hence they make their money on the rental.

I won't speculate on whether this is legitimately owned or not but BOC probably won't refill cyclinders for Johnny Offthestreet because they make more money renting them. They certainly aren't going to refill a cyclinder that is branded as being owned BY THEM.
The buyer would need to find a sympathetic fire extinguisher place, or start a rental with BOC as described. You rent a cyclinder first, then take back the empty one and tell them you've used it up and want to end you rental agreement.

Yep KGB that's exactly how it goes.

I had a bottle & couldn't get it filled or find someone with an account so as to use theirs. I started a rental with the company will swap my bottle and cancel before I have to renew. One 10kg bottle will last me for quite a few years , all up I estimate the cost would be around $40 per year.

Lagers

P.S. If someone has an Air Liquide 10Kg bottle , I now have an account

Edit: If you mix some letters in the word account around you end up with something that can't go to print. Must learn to spell correctly.

Yep KGB that's exactly how it goes.

I had a bottle & couldn't get it filled or find someone with an account so as to use theirs. I started a rental with the company will swap my bottle and cancel before I have to renew. One 10kg bottle will last me for quite a few years , all up I estimate the cost would be around $40 per year.

Lagers

P.S. If someone has an Air Liquide 10Kg bottle , I now have an account

Ha Lager44,

How much will u charge me to use your account.
I have a 10kg Air Liquide bottle.
I will send you a PM.

The buyer would need to find a sympathetic fire extinguisher place, or start a rental with BOC as described. You rent a cyclinder first, then take back the empty one and tell them you've used it up and want to end you rental agreement.
BOC have wised up a lot since the old days, cylinders now have barcodes and are scanned as they go out and come back in. It's not so easy to throw the old odd one back in the mix as it used to be. Not sure about AL, I would suggest maybe going through an agent rather than the main company if you are going to try that trick.

I have a rented BOC 10kg bottle and did a swap last week; just took it in, handed over my $54 and took a new one home. No checking of account numbers etc but it was an agent and not the BOC gas & gear 100m down the road.

Cheers, Andrew.

BOC have wised up a lot since the old days, cylinders now have barcodes and are scanned as they go out and come back in. It's not so easy to throw the old odd one back in the mix as it used to be. Not sure about AL, I would suggest maybe going through an agent rather than the main company if you are going to try that trick.

I was wondering how long it would be before they woke up to this...

Back