1064 To 1012 In 3 Days..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocko

Oh Dear..
Reaction score
Ok,

So Saturday I do a full BIAB AG but need stock so go a giant partial, 7kg + 2kg LDME + 1kg DEX.. Pull out the 60L fermenter..

OG = 1064

So I no chilled into 60L fermenter, I have a fridgemate probe thru lid, at 44 deg. I added water @ tap temp, malt and dex - Water was from hose and well aerated the wort, anyway temp was down to 24C, 45L, so I pitched 2 packs of US-05 and tuck away in fermenting fridge [dead fridge - use heater in winter and ice blocks in summer] with four 2L frozen bottles....

Next morning, Kraisen is rocking, probably 2 inches, and the kitten killin S-BEND is goin oFF!

Anyway, tonight I take a reading and sure enough - 1012 - WTF :blink:

This is my 22nd BIAB and my sanitation etc methods are up to scratch....

Can this yeast do such a job? Am I missing something here?

Sample taste fine so am not really worried about the brew not coming out the other end but just wanna know if 3-4 days to finish is possible...

Cheers

at that temp it can be done in that time no prob, nothing unusual there.

Absolutely, 3 to 4 days is quite normal for a good healthy ferment, though a little fast for US-05 - but I'm guessing it probably gained a little heat during ferment with just a couple of ice bottles controlling 45L, thus speeding up the whole process.

cheers Ross

Thanks heaps guys,

I thought I was trippin and measured twice but it is 1012...

Sample tasted fine and all is good!!

NEXT Q: How do I do a Diacetyl Rest from here??

Leave at 22-24 for another couple of days?

Cheers again!

diacetyl rest at ferment temp of 22-24 MAX. for 24 hrs should be fine.

Hey Cocko, have you considered giving the late Bill Hicks credit for the quote in your sig?

/ot

Glad someone picked up on it!!

Ok, will do...

:p Sorry, didn't mean to sound aggressive, work made these things get to me when I notice them though haha. Thanks for the fix, I feel better now haha.

Latest posts

Back