Something's gone terribly wrong ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQuinny

Reaction score
Recipe:
300g Light Crystal
Make up 10 L and boil. +1 kg LDME

70g of various hops over a 50 min boil.
+ 2.5 kg LLME
+ 0.5 kg Dex.
+ Deltaflock tab (first time I've used these).

0 Min: pot goes into an ice bath.

Now I go off to Bunnings for an hour or so - temp is about 30 Deg C when I get back.

Pour off pot contents into the fermenter & I notice there's about a centremeter of crud in the bottom of the pot. First time I've seen this and I've not added it to the fermenter.

Make upto 23L with cold water out of the fridge - temp is about 10 Deg C.

Pitch US.05.

OG = 1.104 ! - What happened there ?

Even adjusting the gravity for temperature, that still only brings it down to 1.103. I let it sit overnight & take another reading - no change.

If this thing comes down to something near 10 points - that's over 10 % ABV ! WTF?

Take another sample!
I will bet it went something like this, you boiled everything up, poured it into the fermenter (with a sediment reducer fitted to the back of the tap) then added the cold water.
The body of the tap will have filled up with your heavy syrup, you have probably not mixed very thoroughly and then taken a sample, the lighter wort behind the stuff in the tap has flushed it into your test tube, where you have taken the reading.

Just as a matter of interest
300g of Crystal should yield about 200g of extract, 2.5kg of LLME yields about 2000g, and your 500g of Dex another 455g for a total of 2.655Kg of extract in 23L, your OG will be 1.044 (give or take a titch, uncertainty is down to how much you got out of your Xal, how accurate your measurements were and how much got left in the boil.
From Mass Extract (2.655kg) = Vol cold wort (23L)*SG*oP and assuming that SG =1+(4*oP)/1000 and oP as decimal (i.e. 1.040=10oP/100 or 0.1)
2.655=23*(1+(4*oP)/1000)*(oP/100)
From there the Excel function Goal Seek is your friend

Pretty common trap for new players - always mix thoroughly and never trust the first 50mL that comes out of a tap!
Mark

My bad
Missed that the LDME in the boil was additional so total extract would be ~3.65kg, gives an OG of 1.05989 call it ~1.060.
You might have left a bit of extract in the kettle as/with the crud. Or measurements aren't spot on.
Mark

Thanks Mark, as usual very informative. Forgot to give it a good stir. OG now at 1.054, so close to your estimate and yes it's quite possible that I left some extract behind in the process.

Thanks again.

Q

Latest posts

Back